"SOUTH EAST ASIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Asia by lmkluque

Asia Travel Guide: 264,550 reviews and 719,755 photos

UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Welcome to my Asian page,

My introduction to Asia began at Tokyo's Narita International airport. We disembarked from our plane and went into the airport structure, following the flow of passengers.

I had friends living in and around Tokyo and thought to call them if only for a short telephone chat to use up the time. The airport was full of people and everything seemed strange to me, a personal West meets East moment if you will. I imagined that this was the reverse of what my Japanese students felt on their initial arrival at the airport in Los Angeles, of course the difference being that they had me to greet them at the gate where no one stood patiently to welcome me.

I saw the telephones lined up along a wall and looked around to see where I might buy a phone card as I had no Japanese coins that might work the phones. Nothing popped into view to give me an idea of where to purchase a phone card, and I hadn't even the price of a drink in local currency.

The place was big--it seemed to me--and time slipped by. Better, I thought, to locate the gate I'd be departing from than to find myself lost and too far away to re-board.

The Singapore Airlines flight I took seemed to have few if any other Western passengers so I spent the remaining time observing everyone passing by.

More interesting information on this city can be found on VT Member, "o00o's" Tokyo page.

A brief stay at Taipei's Chiang Kai Shek airport in Taiwan seemed stranger still. The passengers were led into a large auditorium type room with rows and rows of chairs already filled with tired looking people surrounded by huddled children leaning on the luggage and bags of all description. It was late at night and our movements were extremely limited. Up a short flight of stairs we could walk out the door to a hallway with closed and shuttered shops on one side. The entrance to the main area of the airport was guarded and we saw nothing more than fellow passengers. We each were given a small card issued by a health department of the government, that warned of symptoms of an exotic illness that we should watch for within a month of our stay in Taiwan. The light dawned. As transient passengers we were quarantined.

More interesting information on this city can be found on keeweechick’s Taipei page

Other then the few hours spent in the above cities, I've been only to Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia.

Here is an over view of those places from my perspective. There are more details on my Singapore, Indonesia, Jakarta, Malaysia and Kuala Lumpur pages, if you are interested.

I hope you enjoy Asia,
Linda

School Boys in Malaysia

Indonesia and Malaysia were similar in a few ways, both were predominately Muslim countries, the food was similar as was the language and some of the cultural attitude. However, there did seem to be a desire to express the distinct difference of each country by their citizens.

Unfortunately, my experience was too limited to be able to make that distinction, so if you notice this flaw in me, you will understand why.

Living amongst Muslims was an interesting and enlightening episode in my life and since the attitudes, in these countries, towards women were not much different than at home, these countries were the ideal introduction for me.

Lily Pond in Bogor, Indonesia

Where ever I looked, the scenery was spectacular! Even the airports seemed to be little more than small breaks in the natural landscape!

Riding along the highways I was always impressed the way the plants seemed to grow neatly right up to the edge of the road, until one day I saw a guy with a weed-wacker trimming nature back! It was quite an illuminating revelation for me.

• Pros:Exotic, Beautiful, Educational and Inspiring.
  • Cons:Too Hot and Humid for me.
  • In a nutshell:Full Of Wonderous Surprised!!
  • Last visit to Asia: Aug 1994
  • Intro Updated Feb 15, 2006

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 7:17 AM

I may find myselfin Singapore this spring so the pages were helpful. Thanks! Ann

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2004 at 10:15 AM

a lovely page and great pics ! ... I have never heard of that Durian-fruit !

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2004 at 11:37 AM

Intersting page with lots of handy tips. Happy travelling.

• Apr 29, 2004 at 9:58 PM

Great coverage and phtographs.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2003 at 8:31 AM

Nice page, Asia is one of my favourite destinations, still so much to see...

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2003 at 8:40 PM

Great and very exotic (for me) destination! AMAZING pictures, I do hope to follow your camera someday! And try delicious food there! And Tea Terraces in Mountians look beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2003 at 9:34 AM

some amazing pictures. i cant wait for commentry.........come on Linda .........hurry up

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2003 at 6:19 PM

Great page Linda So many nice pic's and tips Asia is onn our list and not to far away

• mafootje's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2003 at 9:31 AM

Like those lily's

• alma_h's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2003 at 11:03 AM

I am not surprised to see another excellent page here..:) Great job!

lmkluque