"Artist's Haven" Top 5 Page for this destination Skagen by lmkluque
Skagen Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 158 photos
Welcome to my Skagen page,
A visit to Skagen was a generous gift from my Danish pen-pal Connie. Actually, when she frist mentioned it, I wasn't really interested. I wanted to see the places of her everyday life more than a touristic artist village.
However, we went to Skagen and she showed me why she loved this town and wanted to share it with me. It didn't seem touristic at all and after exploring the streets, the museum and the meeting of two seas, I can tell you that I love Skagen too!
Skagen is a small beach town at the northernmost tip of the island of North Jutland in Danmark. Many of Danmark's great artists either lived here or stayed for some time. Three of my favorites are P.S. Kroyer, Michael Ancher and Anna Ancher. Most of the earlier works seemed like old Dutch paintings which, until this experience, I had little appreciation for. Later on, many of the Skagen artists joined the Impressionist movement, which I have always appreciated and at the Skagen Museum both styles can be seen.
If you are an art lover you may want to include Skagen while touring Danmark. If art isn't really your thing, a visit to Skagen is still a must. It is a small beach community and a great place to spend a summer vacation.
I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
The two photos here are copies of P.S. Kroyer's work. "Haveparti med Marie Kroyer og roser" (1893)
The subject is his wife, Marie in their rose garden. Kroyer made these two paintings, one of Marie and the whole garden and the other of Marie as a close-up of the first picture. Kroyer did this with several of his paintings, like a "telephoto" shot or "cropping" technique.
He did the with several of his works and I found it fascinating to see.
- Pros:A charming artist colony of the past.
- Cons:Too often missed.
- In a nutshell:It's worth the effort to see.
The advise given to writers is, "Write what you know about." Painters aren't bound by this concept, but in Skagen it... more travel advice
Two of the most famous natural sights in Danmark are found in Skagen. The largest migrating sand dune, 'Råbjerg Mile'... more travel advice
lmkluque's Related Pages
Skagen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Light UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
- "Artist's Haven"
- "The northern-most point of Jutland."
- "Skagen Area - Northern Jutland"
- "Where the two seas meet"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skagen
- Hotels in Skagen
- Transportation in Skagen
- Nightlife in Skagen
- Restaurants in Skagen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Houston Heights Hotels
- Middle Bass Island Hotels
- Saint George Hotels
- Taipei Hotels
- Province of Mindoro Oriental
- Limone sul Garda
- Iowa City Hotels
- Idaho Falls
- Ko Khlum Hotels
- Muddus Nationalpark
- San Vicente de la Barquera
- Fort Pierce
Badges & Stats in Skagen
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Skagen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skagen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 164 reviews, 516 photos, 11 travelogues
- Imperial Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 167 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coronado Intro, 62 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chula Vista Intro, 49 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- National City Intro, 45 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla Intro, 55 reviews, 111 photos
- Ocean Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tijuana Intro, 77 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Del Mar Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cabrillo National Monument Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Skagen hotel reviews
- Brondums Hotel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013