"Artist's Haven" Top 5 Page for this destination Skagen by lmkluque

Skagen Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 158 photos

A Surprising Gift of Art

Welcome to my Skagen page,

A visit to Skagen was a generous gift from my Danish pen-pal Connie. Actually, when she frist mentioned it, I wasn't really interested. I wanted to see the places of her everyday life more than a touristic artist village.

However, we went to Skagen and she showed me why she loved this town and wanted to share it with me. It didn't seem touristic at all and after exploring the streets, the museum and the meeting of two seas, I can tell you that I love Skagen too!

Skagen is a small beach town at the northernmost tip of the island of North Jutland in Danmark. Many of Danmark's great artists either lived here or stayed for some time. Three of my favorites are P.S. Kroyer, Michael Ancher and Anna Ancher. Most of the earlier works seemed like old Dutch paintings which, until this experience, I had little appreciation for. Later on, many of the Skagen artists joined the Impressionist movement, which I have always appreciated and at the Skagen Museum both styles can be seen.

If you are an art lover you may want to include Skagen while touring Danmark. If art isn't really your thing, a visit to Skagen is still a must. It is a small beach community and a great place to spend a summer vacation.

I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
Linda

PSKroyer 1851-1909

The two photos here are copies of P.S. Kroyer's work. "Haveparti med Marie Kroyer og roser" (1893)

The subject is his wife, Marie in their rose garden. Kroyer made these two paintings, one of Marie and the whole garden and the other of Marie as a close-up of the first picture. Kroyer did this with several of his paintings, like a "telephoto" shot or "cropping" technique.

He did the with several of his works and I found it fascinating to see.

• Pros:A charming artist colony of the past.
  • Cons:Too often missed.
  • In a nutshell:It's worth the effort to see.
  • Last visit to Skagen: Oct 1989
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Places where painters congregate are always worth visiting, I find.
    I agree with what you said in your restaurant tip: what's the point of going to another country just to order the same thing you would at home?

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2006 at 8:48 AM

Interesting page, Linda! I opened Demark for myself this august and hope to continue my acquaintance next year. May be Skagen'll appear on my way...

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2006 at 4:04 PM

Great tips! Wonderful shot of the meeting of the Kattegat and North Sea! I'll visit Skagen Museum whenever I go there.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2004 at 10:01 AM

great pics and infos ! - What a pity that I missed the church ,when I was in Skagen :-(((

• Monique_T's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2003 at 11:13 AM

Great page Linda, would love to see more pics.

• Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2003 at 3:50 PM

Nice page Linda. I appreciate your interest in art....I missed this place when I was in Denmark.

• AndyRG's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2003 at 5:01 AM

I love art and these natural sights...

• aGaby's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2002 at 10:28 PM

a very interesting place !

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2002 at 6:56 PM

Wow, that's cool how the seas meet.

• banshee11's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2002 at 10:54 AM

nice pics and great page. i also love skagen very much and i hope that i'll be there again...

lmkluque