"In and Around Tours" Tours by lmkluque

Tours Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 613 photos

See the Older Part of Tours

Welcome to my Tours page,

A freind lives in Tours and naturally, I came to visit for a few days.

He picked me up from the train station and took me to meet his parents--no, not that kind of meeting--I was a married woman and he was just a friend. So, we went to Noyant--his hometown--to meet his parents, to see their home, his old stomping ground and of course, the French countryside.

On the way we stopped at Saumur and visited the castle. By the time we arrived at his parents it was about 9 pm. He wanted to take me to a place to have savory crepes but, his favorite restaurant was closed as were several other places.

Finally, we discovered one little cafe open and two of his friends joined us to eat. The crowded dining room was warm and cozy, but my friend assured me that the crepes were TERRIBLE! Since this was my first encounter with a savory crepe I enjoyed it, ham, mushrooms, tomato and cheese, it was delicious! I can only imagine how delectable a crepe he approved of would be.

We spent the next two days exploring his town and driving around Noyant seeing the old chruches, castles and the beautiful countryside.

We then went back to Tours to explore his "new" home town.

My friend is a funny kind of guy and very little in his life was normal, making the whole visit amazing.

Part of Tours is just like any city with unremarkable streets and big square buildings lacking in charm. However, the older section was ancient and fantastic to see.

He had just lost his flat--because the landlord wanted to sell the building which was located in this beautiful, charming old section--and though the inside of the building was partially torn down my friend took me up to his first floor flat---a dangerous climb--to see the view of the square below his window.

The scene below was worth the peril . The view was exactly what one might expect to see in a French town square.

I Hope You Enjoy Your Visit,
Linda

• Pros:The Old Town Square Still Exists
  • Cons:The Modern Section Isn't Beautiful
  • In a nutshell:Wander through the older part of town and enjoy!
  • Last visit to Tours: Oct 1988
  • Intro Updated Aug 23, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Linda, thanks for posting these memories of your visit to Tours and vicinity in 1988. Around that time we also used to visit friends who lived in the French countryside and we had some lovely times with them. An added bonus was that their children and our children were about the same age.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Sounds like a wonderful visit. Wonderful how your hosts really knock themselves out to make your stay memorable

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2012 at 6:38 AM

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2007 at 12:09 PM

This interesting page reminds me this beautiful town which I was happy to visit in far 1995... But I didn't see the Saumur Castle. Now I know about its existence from your page. Thanks Linda for sharing!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2006 at 5:34 AM

It sounds as if Tours was a great introduction to the 'real France' for you. A lovely part of the world around Tours, and this is an enjoyable page about it.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2005 at 10:34 AM

Sounds like a very memorable visit with a charming young man! I remember a stop here in the '80s and the half timbered buildings--beautiful!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2005 at 5:57 AM

What a precious trip! This is what travelling should be all about rather than ticking off important monuments. Love this. Been dreaming of the French countryside lately.

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2003 at 8:36 PM

You had a close up and personal experience in Tours, that is the best way to experience a country. The crepes are different there, not all fruit and whipped cream.

• jide08's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2003 at 12:26 PM

Interesting. But I find the calculator-style font hard to read. Saumur is in a different region btw.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2003 at 11:26 PM

I love crepe as well. Looking forward to visit this Spring!

lmkluque