"Juárez, Chihuahua, México" Juárez by xoxoxenophile

Juárez Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 22 photos

In English

In the summer of 2012, I traveled to Ciudad Juárez for the first time. Many of my family and friends were worried about my safety, even though the ministry I was serving with--Casas Por Cristo--had never had any incidents in Juárez. After the gang and drug violence started they had stopped building in the neighborhoods most effected, but were struggling to help the rest of the city, as many in the United States, scared by all of the media attention Juárez was getting, decided to travel elsewhere for their mission trips. This was why we decided, when we felt called to go on an extra mission trip (besides the one my campus ministry takes each winter), we chose Juárez. And I'm very glad we did, because it was an incredible experience.

En Español

En el verano de 2012, yo viajé a la Ciudad Juaréz, Chihuahua, México para mi primera vez. Mucho de mi familia y amigos preocupaba sobre mi seguridad aunque el ministerio con lo que yo servía–Casas por Cristo–nunca había tenido cualquier incidente allá. Después la violencia de las pandillas y drogas empezó, el ministerio paraba construir en los vecinos más peligrosos, pero luchaba para ayudar el resto de la ciudad, porque muchos estadounidenses, asustados de lo que las noticias decían sobre Juaréz, decidían viajar en otra parte para viajes misioneros. Debido a esto, decidímos escoger Juaréz como el destino para un viaje misionero extra (adémas de nuestros viajes misioneros usuales en los inviernos) para cual que nosotros sentímos llamados.

• In a nutshell:Colorful places, wonderful people--not the Juaréz portrayed in the media!
  • Last visit to Juárez: Aug 2012
  • Intro Written Feb 11, 2013

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Holy smokes. You've got guts. I'm a guy and I would never go to that place, mission or not. I have a friend who goes on mission trips, and he went to Israel and Palestine, and I told him not to go to Gaza, and he said, "It's not up me, it's up to God." lol
    Wish you had some more stuff from this trip.

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Yeah, mission trips aren't usually there for tourism. Well, I guess it depends. I have a friend who went to Israel and site seed, and than she went to the Philippines, and only taught English and got attacked by mosquitos.
      And the other guy I mentioned went to India and Egypt, and also site seed. I guess it depends on the location. There is not much to see in Juarez in terms of tourism.
      Yeah, I see what you're saying, but it's much better that way. You truly get to experience the local culture, and see how the people live.
      Wow, sleeping on the floor of a church, and in people's homes. That's "REAL" travel. Doesn't get anymore adventurous than that. I've yet to have an experience like that, but I've gotten rides from locals, and slept at airports. I would sleep at a train station, if it saved me money. IDK if anyone would let me sleep in a church. LOL

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Anyways, it was nice to read from another perspective. I think as long as you aren't involved with drugs, don't bad mouth the cartels, or look like a rich tourist, you will be fine. And I know people who have gone to Tijuana and have been fine. But I still wouldn't go there. Juarez and Matamoros are the worst.
      I've only been to Mexico once, and that was on a day trip to Tecate in 2002. We wanted to visit Matamoros in 2005 when we were in Texas, but ran out of time, and maybe it's a good thing after we read how dangerous it is. I've been wanting to go back and visit other parts of the country, since it's gotten safer. I wanna go with my Mexican friend, but my mom doesn't think it's a good idea. I might just go to Cabo or Yucatan first, but I mostly want to visit Central Mexico. That's the typical Mexico I've always imagined.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Great picture of these kids!

• xoxoxenophile's Profile Photo
      Feb 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Thanks! We were there to build a house, but for me it was all about meeting and talking to the kids. :)

xoxoxenophile

“"To know the will of God, we need an open Bible and an open map." - William Carey”

Badges & Stats in Juárez