"Tonto National Monument" Tonto National Monument by xoxoxenophile

Tonto National Monument Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 95 photos

When I visited Mesa, Arizona to see my grandparents, we drove to this National Monument and hiked up to the Lower Cliff Dwellings. There are some really beautiful views, from the trail and I loved seeing a real Salado home tucked into the mountains. I also didn't realize that it was a two-hour drive from Mesa--the scenery is absolutely beautiful through Tonto National Forest and we stopped often to take pictures.

• Last visit to Tonto National Monument: Feb 2008
  • Intro Written Feb 19, 2013

• Bennytheball's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I love these tall Cacti, for me the wild west encapsulated, and of course "Tonto" was the Lone Ranger's sidekick, played by actor Jay Silverheels and the Lone Ranger with his silver bullets, was played by Clayton Moore, going back a bit here, 1950's stuff I was addicted to when I was a small boy, watching the black and white TV, so I made my own bow and arrows from Willow tree, and got into lots of trouble at school......whoops!.....................Benny.

• xoxoxenophile's Profile Photo
      Feb 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Yeah the Saguaro cacti are pretty cool--I'd never seen any before this trip but they can get huge! And I shoot archery so I can't blame you for making your own bows and arrows there, it's a great sport :)

xoxoxenophile

“"To know the will of God, we need an open Bible and an open map." - William Carey”

Badges & Stats in Tonto National Monument

Have you been to Tonto National Monument?