"A Wonderland of Red Rocks & Arches" Arches National Park by annk
Arches National Park Travel Guide: 609 reviews and 1,552 photos
More than 100 million years of erosion has created this desert area that has the greatest density of natural arches in the world. It lies on an underground salt bed that is responsible for the unusual rock formations of arches, spires & monoliths so prevalent in the area. Extreme temperatures in addition to water, ice and salt movement have created the rock sculptures.
We visited in October, temperatures were cool and there were no crowds. I'd highly recommend visiting in the spring or fall months as the summer can be brutally hot!
The tips will be a tour starting from the beginning of the park to the end of the 24 mile drive. Did not see everything but at least touched on some of the highlights and sites close to the road. In order to fully appreciate and view the 1000's of arches one must backcountry hike. We didn't have the time or gear since we planned on visiting Canyonlands, Dead Horse & the surrounding scenic drives in 5 days. Plus I had to deal with not having a valid drivers license on me. It was paid for but not received yet in the mail and I totally forgot about it and left for my trip. But that's another story which made the trip quite a memorable experience.
Visitor's Center - just inside park entrance, open 8 am to 4:30 pm
By bike or foot - $5 (7-day pass)
By car - $10 (7-day pass)
Paved roads - 24 miles one way
Closest town - Moab 5 miles
Picnic areas - 3
Campgrounds - 1
1929 - became a National Monument
1971 - became a National Park
No. of categorized arches:over 2000
World's largest arch-Landscape arch spanning 306 ft.
Park Size - 76,519 acres
Precipitation - less than 10 inches a year
- Pros:Fantastic rock formations, contrasting colors, close to Moab
- Cons:Can get very hot and crowded in summer months
Heading back to the parking lot from Landscape Arch, there are 2 arches that are easily accessible with direction signs... more travel advice
The beginnng of the trail leads you through numerous spires and shear walls of stone some on both sides. Off the trail... more travel advice
annk's Related Pages
Arches National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arches NP - Arches Sandstone Wonderland"
- "Finding the Angles at Arches"
- "Arches National Park"
- "Vistas around every bend..."
- "Amazing Arches"
- "ARCHES NATIONAL PARK - UTAH"
- "Desert Gem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arches National Park
- Hotels in Arches National Park
- Transportation in Arches National Park
- Nightlife in Arches National Park
- Restaurants in Arches National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Arches National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Arches National Park
- 17 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Arches National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arches National Park
- Posted in Travel Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Forum "Re: October 08, Need help in..."
- updated a Arches National Park Travelogue "More Images"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More Images"
- Wrote a Review Devil's Garden - Pine Tree Arch in Arches National Park Things to Do
- Commented on one of Easty's Arches National Park travel pages
Photos in Arches National ParkSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Channel Islands National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Aruba Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 26 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poipu Intro, 25 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Santa Barbara Intro, 21 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (40)
Latest Arches National Park hotel reviews
- Devil's Garden Campground
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013