"Steamtown National Historic Site & more...." Top 5 Page for this destination Scranton by annk
Scranton Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 74 photos
Steamtown, part of the National Park Service was established in 1986 to further the understanding and appreciation of steam railroading and the role it played in the development of the United States. Anything you could possibly want to know about steam locomotives and the history of railroading is displyed here. A definite "must see" for train enthusiasts.
On my first visit to Scranton we visited Steamtown only. My most recent & 2nd visit we included the Trolley Museum which is adjacent to Steamtown.
Open: Year round 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed: Thanksgiving Day, December 25, January 1st
Museum entrance fee:
Seniors: (62+) $7.00
Children: (6-12) $3.00
free to National Parks pass holders
Excursions 2004 (summer only)
Adult: $15, Senior $13, Child $10
Adult: $25, Senior $20, Child $15
Adult: $75, Senior $70, Child $50
Lackawanna County Electric City Trolley Station & Museum
This museum sits adjacent to Steamtown and shares the same parking lot. It's a small museum that is no where near the scale of Steamtown but if you're interested in transporation, it's worth the $3 admission fee.
- Pros:Interesting and informative, not just museum but a working railyard
- Cons:Not the typical National Park - no flora, fauna
There are sometime seasonal displays such as the decorated Christmas trees each from a different local school. Other... more travel advice
Cars in the collection are moved into this room for public display. Not all the trolleys in the collection are in the... more travel advice
annk's Related Pages
Scranton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Steamtown National Historic Site & more...."
- "Scranton, PA"
- "Scranton: Northeast Pennsylvania's Railroad City"
- "Steamtown National Historic Site"
- "Scranton - Coal, trains and trolleys"
- "Scranton, PA, US"
- "MONTAGE MOUNTAIN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scranton
- Hotels in Scranton
- Transportation in Scranton
- Restaurants in Scranton
- Shopping in Scranton
- Warnings and Dangers in Scranton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scranton
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Scranton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scranton
- Posted in Travel Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Forum "Re: October 08, Need help in..."
- Commented on one of mikelisaanna's Scranton travel pages
- Wrote a Review Trolley Museum, other displays....... in Scranton Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cut A Way Trolley Car"
- updated a Scranton Travel Page "Steamtown National Historic Site & more...."
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Channel Islands National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Aruba Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 26 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poipu Intro, 25 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Santa Barbara Intro, 21 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue