"A Gateway to Yellowstone National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination West Yellowstone by annk

West Yellowstone Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 243 photos

A small town I never would have considered visiting if it were not for mrclay2000 and his W. Yellowstone page featuring the "Grizzly Center". I figured my chances of seeing bears in the wild were slim and opted to view them here.

The drive to this small town was tremendously rewarding since the road parallels the Madison River and is home to numerous herds of elk and bison. I saw more wildlife that day then the rest combined.

The town obviously relies on tourism and has many hotels, restaurants, shops, a museum, The Grizzly Center and an IMAX theatre. Although we had lodging in the park, W. Yellowstone is a good alternative to the limited and somewhat expensive park lodging.

• Pros:Small town, distant mountain views, cheaper lodging than in the park, Grizzly Center
  • Cons:wasn't there long enough to know about the con's
  • Last visit to West Yellowstone: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 5, 2003

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2006 at 8:21 AM

Quite an interesting little spot and a great way to get 'acquainted' with grizzlies and wolves!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 8:01 AM

Very interesting.

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2005 at 9:10 AM

I had no idea there was a bear center here! Sounds like a worthwhile side trip. :)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2003 at 4:32 PM

Very interested info on Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center and about bear habits :-)))

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 2:28 PM

School kids! What injustice! I could have tossed the tomatoes and lettuce as well as any of them. I think there were more wolves when I tightroped the chasm.

annk

“Don't sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in West Yellowstone

Have you been to West Yellowstone?