"Molokai - "The Friendly Island"" Top 5 Page for this destination Molokai by annk

Molokai Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 244 photos

Molokai is easily accessible by ferry and inter-island air but is one of the least developed of the major Hawaiian Islands. There are a couple of hotels, some B & B's and a resort but no structure is higher than a coconut palm. For the most part the island remains unspoiled and natural and residents and visitors alike prefer it that way.

The east coast is the rainy side, lush and tropical and reminded me of French Polynesia. There is also a jumble of mountains the highest is Kamakou topping 4,970 feet. The west coast is drier with rolling hills and prairie land much of it used for cattle grazing or irrigated farmland.

Even though we were only there for a mere 6 hours, the "friendly island" seemd to live up to its name. Practically everyone we passed waved and at historic sites they were more than eager to share their knowledge.

For those of you that enjoy peace and quiet, this could be the place for you.
There are:
No nightclubs
No supermarkets
No traffic or traffic lights
No high-rise buildings

Molokai has the largest coral reef in the U.S. It lines the southern coast for 28 miles. Snorkeling, diving, fishing and kayaking are supposedly popular acitivies.

Residents are vehemently opposed to cruise ships stopping at their quiet island. Many have NO CRUISE SHIPS signs posted in front of their homes. A local explained that the ships are too large to dock at their small harbor, and anchoring offshore would cause damage to their fragile reef. The residents seem to be happy with their quiet lifestyle and don't care about additional income.

• Pros:Unspoiled, natural, very little commercialism, the feel of "old" Hawaii
  • Cons:May be too quiet for some (we loved it!)
  • In a nutshell:Remote & beautiful....a gem of an island
  • Last visit to Molokai: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 9, 2005

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2005 at 9:08 PM

I know you love Hawaii Ann and I can see why ,you have been to some real wonderful places and I know there is much more to come Your pictures are beautiful as usual Ann Thake care enjoy all your trips coming up this year,

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2004 at 8:04 AM

Looks like a world away from the bustle of Lahaina. The spirit of Molokai wafts through your pages;-\

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2004 at 5:41 PM

Wonderful pages, Ann. We were in Molokai last November for four days and absolutely loved it. Thanks for refreshing our memories. Stephen and Karen

• wanderlust23's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2003 at 1:10 PM

Great Molokai page! I will be there soon and it's great to see some pics before I go so I can know what to look forward to!

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2003 at 8:58 AM

This is a nice quiet island with beauty, religion and few tourists. Best not to tell too many people. My kind of place!

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2003 at 8:20 PM

No picture of the Phallic Rock, Ann? This was blindly inconsiderate! A lot of good stuff I never expected from Hawai'i. Glad you got the church interiors!

• manuelEB's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2003 at 7:32 PM

Your pages are bound to be the best of Maui Island. Looking forward to see good pics of the places I visited.(-;

• TinKan's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2003 at 2:40 PM

WOW... This is an island that I must visit. Great information and the pictures are great. Good work.... Keith

• Mar 31, 2003 at 6:03 AM

I love the opening pix, Ann..such a refreshing photo! So much to see in this place...All the best:)

• kalkahuna's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2003 at 11:02 AM

Shhhh! Quit giving away secrets about Molokai! I have to dig up our pic of Mrs Kal tempting fate by riding Phallic Rock! Molokai Mo' Bettah!

annk

“Don't sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Molokai

Have you been to Molokai?