"Kailua-Kona/Waikoloa" Top 5 Page for this destination Kailua-Kona by annk

Kailua-Kona Travel Guide: 360 reviews and 813 photos

The last time I visited the Big Island was 11 years ago. Not much has changed...a few more resorts but not a lot of development. The island of Hawaii is definitely much quieter than Oahu and Maui and a nice place just to relax, golf, participate in water activities, and enjoy the scenery.

The Big Island of Hawaii is the southernmost and youngest of the Hawaiian Islands. It was formed by 5 volcanoes, 2 still acitve....Mauna Loa and Kilauea. A new island "Loihi" is being formed from volcanic acitivity off the eastern coast of Hawaii. The Big Island is larger than all of the Hawaiian Islands combined and has 266 miles of coastline.

The west coast (Kona, Waikoloa) is drier with miles of black volcanic rock. The east coast (Hilo), the rainy side, is greener and more lush.

• Pros:The largest of the Hawaiian Islands, not as crowded as Oahu & Maui
  • Last visit to Kailua-Kona: Nov 2000
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2005

Travelogues (1)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2003 at 11:57 AM

My congratulations - beautiful page again! I can't play golf, I am not a fan of kayak, I didn't use to sleep in the most expensive hotels (yet :-) but... Outrigger Waikoloa Beach, swimming with dolphins and helicopter tours WOW! - a blast!

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2003 at 8:27 PM

Fantastic stuff, even with the golf pro tips and the mention of Bubba Gump Shrimp!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2003 at 8:30 PM

I envy you the outdoor activities, I'm not sure I'm game though. I should have looked more into this area of the Big Island.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2003 at 9:37 PM

Those are great Tips Ann, and nice pic's we need the info for our Hawaii trip.

annk

“Don't sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Kailua-Kona

Have you been to Kailua-Kona?

Latest Activity in Kailua-Kona