"Colorado NM - Land of Plateaus & Canyons" Colorado National Monument by annk
Colorado National Monument Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 84 photos
Sharrie & I drove through Colorado NM on the way back to the airport in Grand Junction. The park is very nice with some outstanding vistas but paled in comparison to the dramatic landscapes and canyons of Arches & Canyonlands National Parks and Dead Horse State Park in Utah. If you intend on visiting the Canyonlands area via Colorado I'd advise stopping by Colorado NM first, not last. It will leave a much greater impact. Essentially, I was canyoned out by day 6 but happy we made the stopover.
Established as a National Monument in 1911
Park Activities: Auto Tours, Biking, Hiking, Camping, Climbing, Horse-back Riding, Wildlife Viewing
Elevation: Average 6000 feet at the rim
Wildlife inhabitants: canyon wren, mule deer, desert cottontails, ground squirrels, chipmunks, coyotes, bighorn sheep, lizards, mountain lions, rattlesnakes.
- Pros:Lots of hiking trails, canyons, vistas, close to interstate 70
- Cons:Not as dramatic as Arches & Canyonlands NP's
I believe this is the Cold Shivers Point but not 100% certain. We were fortuante as dark, ominous clouds loomed nearby... more travel advice
The view to the right includes the rock formation in the foreground of the "Kissing Couple" and further back Monument... more travel advice
annk's Related Pages
Colorado National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Colorado NM - Land of Plateaus & Canyons"
- "Like the Little Grand CAnyon"
- "Colorado National Monument"
- "A scenic bypass just outside Grand Junction"
- "Gem of Western Colorado"
- "Colorado Territory"
- "Pictures of Colorado National Monument"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Colorado National Monument
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Colorado National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colorado National Monument
- Posted in Travel Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Forum "Re: October 08, Need help in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "View from the Visitor's Center"
- updated a Colorado National Monument Travel Page "Colorado NM - Land of Plateaus & Canyons"
- Wrote a Review View Points East in Colorado National Monument Things to Do
- Commented on one of bellagio's Colorado National Monument travel pages
Photos in Colorado National MonumentSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Channel Islands National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Aruba Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 26 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poipu Intro, 25 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Santa Barbara Intro, 21 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue