"Death Valley - Land of Beauty and Contrasts" Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park by annk
Death Valley National Park Travel Guide: 905 reviews and 1,963 photos
Death Valley is known for being one of the hottest and driest regions in North America. It receives about 2" of rain annually. It is also a land of contrasts and extremes. It not only has the hottest climate in N.America with a record high temp of 134 degrees/57 C but it also has the lowest elevation at 282 ft/86 m below sea level. On either side of the basin are 2 mountain ranges, the Panamints to the west and the Amargosa Range to the east with heights of up to over 11,000 ft./3353 m. All of this encompasses Death Valley N.P.
I was searching for a quick get-away and Death Valley seemed fit the bill given my limited time and last minute planning. Not that I was excited about visiting a desert, we practically live in one in the north Los Angeles area. But there really is no comparison between the drive through the Mohave Desert and Death Valley. The Mohave is brown and monotonous with a few eerie, twisted Joshua trees breaking up the terrain. Death Valley on the otherhand is varied and colorful with a wide range of elevations, rock formations, alluvial fans, areas devoid of all plant life to pine trees and snow in the mountains. It was more than I had envisioned or remembered from my last visit many years ago before it was a National Park.
National Monument - Declared by President Hoover February 11, 1933
National Park - Established October 31, 1994 and grew by 1,200,000 acres
Area - 3,336,000 acres/ 13500 sq km
Highest Visitation - February through April and November
Lowest Visitation - December and January (surprisingly during the cooler months)
Entrance Fee: - $10.00 per vehicle valid for 7 days.
Largest N.P. - in the continental U.S.
January - High 65F, Low 29F
July - High 116F, Low 88F
- Pros:breathtaking scenery, good hiking, intersting history
- Cons:stifiling HOT in the summer
The kilns are located at the base of the tree line where Mexican laborers harvested pinion pine. The wood was packed in... more travel advice
Snow is found in Death Valley N.P. at higher altitudes. Elevations range from the lowest point from 282 ft. below sea... more travel advice
annk's Related Pages
Death Valley National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Death Valley National Park Page"
- "Death Valley ? No, a valley of flowers !"
- "~ Blooming with life!~"
- "Into the Valley of Death..."
- "Death Valley - Land of Beauty and Contrasts"
- "Death Valley"
- "Multiple Colors in the "Death" Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Death Valley National Park
- Hotels in Death Valley National Park
- Transportation in Death Valley National Park
- Nightlife in Death Valley National Park
- Restaurants in Death Valley National Park
- Shopping in Death Valley National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Death Valley National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Death Valley National Park
- 27 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Death Valley National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Death Valley National Park
- Posted in Travel Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Forum "Re: October 08, Need help in..."
- Commented on one of MyHollyDay's Death Valley National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "More desert scenes"
- created a Death Valley National Park Travelogue "More desert scenes"
- Wrote a Review Charcoal Kilns in Death Valley National Park Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Channel Islands National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Aruba Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 26 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poipu Intro, 25 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Santa Barbara Intro, 21 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue