"Death Valley - Land of Beauty and Contrasts" Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park by annk

Death Valley National Park Travel Guide: 905 reviews and 1,963 photos

Death Valley is known for being one of the hottest and driest regions in North America. It receives about 2" of rain annually. It is also a land of contrasts and extremes. It not only has the hottest climate in N.America with a record high temp of 134 degrees/57 C but it also has the lowest elevation at 282 ft/86 m below sea level. On either side of the basin are 2 mountain ranges, the Panamints to the west and the Amargosa Range to the east with heights of up to over 11,000 ft./3353 m. All of this encompasses Death Valley N.P.

I was searching for a quick get-away and Death Valley seemed fit the bill given my limited time and last minute planning. Not that I was excited about visiting a desert, we practically live in one in the north Los Angeles area. But there really is no comparison between the drive through the Mohave Desert and Death Valley. The Mohave is brown and monotonous with a few eerie, twisted Joshua trees breaking up the terrain. Death Valley on the otherhand is varied and colorful with a wide range of elevations, rock formations, alluvial fans, areas devoid of all plant life to pine trees and snow in the mountains. It was more than I had envisioned or remembered from my last visit many years ago before it was a National Park.

National Monument - Declared by President Hoover February 11, 1933
National Park - Established October 31, 1994 and grew by 1,200,000 acres
Area - 3,336,000 acres/ 13500 sq km
Highest Visitation - February through April and November
Lowest Visitation - December and January (surprisingly during the cooler months)
Entrance Fee: - $10.00 per vehicle valid for 7 days.
Largest N.P. - in the continental U.S.

Average Temperatures:

January - High 65F, Low 29F
July - High 116F, Low 88F

• Pros:breathtaking scenery, good hiking, intersting history
  • Cons:stifiling HOT in the summer
  • Last visit to Death Valley National Park: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 3, 2004

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM

beautiful and wild nature photos. They must also be a good place to wash my clothes. They dry very quickly as you said, these areas are extremely dry.

• broadoak2006's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2005 at 10:38 AM

great set of photos which brough back many happy memories of the area(when I visited the digital camera had not yet been invented !!!)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2005 at 10:35 PM

Being a fan of deserts, I was fascinated by Death Valley NP. Thank you for your excellent page that reminds me of my trip in Death Valley

• mcpangie's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 8:40 PM

I really wanted to see the Artist's Drive. But the same rains that brought so many flowers this year wiped out part of that road and it was closed until fixed. The park sustained much rain damage this last winter.

• frank_delargy's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 1:48 PM

I just heard on NPR that DV was in full bloom due to 6 inches of rain. That is something I will need to see for myself. Great tips!

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2005 at 11:01 AM

Your photos are fabulous! Makes me reget not visiting the park when I was in Vegas last year. I hear Death Valley is in full bloom right now...imagine that!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2004 at 12:21 PM

fantastic page, I hope to put these tips to use!

• andreavienna's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2004 at 12:20 PM

Death Valley is such a wonderful unique place and you really took so many great pictures. It´s a pleasure looking at them ! Thank you ! :-)

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2004 at 9:15 AM

Great tips and photos. I'll be visiting Death Valley in November and appreciate all the useful information you have on this page. Thanks for visiting my Co National Mon page!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2004 at 12:10 PM

Nice Death Valley Travel pages. Lots of information on things to see in the park.

annk

“Don't sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Death Valley National Park

Have you been to Death Valley National Park?

Photos in Death Valley National Park