"Seward - Scenery that can't be beat" Top 5 Page for this destination Seward by annk

Seward Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 492 photos

We spent 3 nights in Seward during our land based trip to Alaska.
Why Seward?
- It's the gateway to Kenai Fjords National Park
- The beautiful landscape, mountains and harbor
- The scenic drive along the Seward Highway from Anchorage. (I hear views from the train are equally rewarding.)
- The close proximity to Exit Glacier - and one that you can walk right up to
- Alaska SeaLife Center

When we pulled into town the party boats were back from their day of fishing and they proceeded to unload their catch. I have never seen such large halibut! The crew hosed off the fish and weighed the largest ones. The opposite side of the fish is white.

Funny how everyone assumed we were taking a cruise. As if visiting Alaska is synonomous with cruising. This trip was land based starting in Fairbanks ending in Anchorage. Even when I mentioned we were traveling by train and car, before I departed most wished me a good cruise :-).

Location: 126 miles south of Anchorage
Population: 4,000 residents

• Pros:Some of the best scenery in the U.S., excellent fishing, Kenai Fjords N.P., lots of wildlife sitings
  • Cons:It rains a lot, year round cool temps
  • In a nutshell:Supposedly a good place to sample the "Real Alaska"
  • Last visit to Seward: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2005

Travelogues (1)

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Looks like a stunning place. I am yet to see a bear in the wild so may have to visit!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2008 at 3:59 PM

"Fantastic page, great info, stunning pictures and... I want to go there. Matt almost packed..." - it was written in 2005. Now, I really go there :-)))

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2006 at 5:36 PM

Great page! what a beautiful place! The glaciers look very impressive.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2005 at 11:54 AM

Nice job. I remember driving my folks and sister to Seward in pouring rain. We got to the sign that says "Alaska's Playground" and they scoffed. Lost my enthusiasm as a tour guide...

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 9:30 AM

So you saw your first bear in the wild (and you didn't tell me!). Good for you. Your little dot of proof from this visit will eventually become close enough to count the teeth at the rate you're going.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2005 at 2:55 PM

G'day Ann. WoW, what a fabulous trip!! This area is on my 'must see one day' list :o) Looks like you stayed in a top spot too. Great!! Cheers, Ann :o)

• mim95's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 5:25 PM

Wow...the fish are huge!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2004 at 7:13 PM

Oh, I wishhhhhhhhhhh ............ Cruise or not, I don't seem to be getting anywhere near this area, well at least not in the summer! Amazing how some things can be soooooo elusive! ;-)

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2004 at 10:09 PM

Such a beautiful place, would love to see more pics.

• ringleader's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2004 at 11:56 AM

Very, very nice. We were just there and had a wonderful time, too!

annk

“Don't sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Seward