"Denali National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve by annk

Denali National Park is an immense natural preserve encompassing 6 million acres and is larger than the state of Massachusetts. One road bisects the park for 89 miles and only the first 15 miles is paved. Cars are allowed only up to the 15 mile mark. Shuttle buses go as far as mile 89, tour buses up to mile 56. By controlling the number of vehicles in the park, this helps to preserve and keep it wild with only a minimal impact from humans.

Denali is home to 160 species of birds, 37 species of mammals and 650 species of flowering plants.

Animal sightings on Tundra Wilderness Tour:

dall sheep
moose
red fox
willow ptarmigin

"National Parks are paradoxical places, they offer us freedom, yet require restraint. They are best explored deeply, yet lightly. They demand new sensibilities if we are to leave them as we found them, unimpaired..."

Kim Keacox
National Parks Magazine, 1999

• Pros:That nature is being preserved, the animals, Mt. McKinley, winding rivers
  • Cons:tundra tour is long, many animal sightings are just specs in the distance
  • Last visit to Denali National Park and Preserve: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 27, 2004

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Great page with beautiful pics (esp. animals and MtKinley) and very usuful info! Matt ready to go now :-)

• kazander's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Nice overview of the park Ann. We're headed here this summer, can't wait. I am a tad worried about the hordes of people, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 4:06 PM

Great page! Denali looks so beautiful, it's one of the places I HAVE to visit. I love your photos!

• Sinjoor's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2005 at 5:00 PM

nice "wildlife "sightings...lol

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2005 at 8:44 AM

Ann, excellent tips & info!! I'd love to visit Denali & stay at the Princess sometime! Your wildlife photos are great too!

• Jan 31, 2005 at 11:29 PM

A beautiful page! Thanks for sharing! I'd like to Alaska too!!!! Nicole

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2005 at 3:09 PM

Hey great Bobcat pic Ann haha. I know,.... you must have gone cat hunting after that yummy looking green coctail you were drinking there ;o) Looks like you guys had a wonderful hol!!! Cheers, Ann :o)

• sue&gene's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2004 at 5:56 PM

We were not so lucky :(

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2004 at 5:07 AM

Very nice page. I like your photo especially of the Ptarmagin. Coming from a birdwatcher, thats a real compliment. ; )

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2004 at 8:56 PM

Beautiful pics and a great page. I especially liked your pictures of the wildlife(:(:(:

annk

“Don't sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Denali National Park and Preserve

Have you been to Denali National Park and Preserve?

Latest Activity in Denali National Park and Preserve