"Peterhof - The Russian "Versailles"" Peterhof by annk
Peterhof Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 243 photos
Originally Peter the Great had a cabin built here to oversee construction of a naval base. He enjoyed the property so much that he built a villa and a whole series of palaces in 1710. Peterhof became his summer residence. Many of the palaces were destroyed by Soviet raids in late 1941 and early 1942. It has since been reconstructed from early photos and drawings.
Since we were on a whirlwind tour the day we visited, and already had seen the interiors of 2 other major palaces, we decided to stroll through the magnificent parks with elaborate statues and fountains. It was an incredible, warm, sunny day and conditions could not have been better.
Estate Open: 9 am to 9 pm daily
Museums Open: 10 am to 5 pm daily from end of May to the end of September
Parks: Lower Park & Alexandria Park open every day.
All attractions charge separate admissions.
- Pros:Magnificent palace, grounds and fountains
- Cons:Can get crowded on weekends and during warm weather
This statue and fountain located at the Orangery depicts Tritan struggling with a sea monster. It sits in a round pool... more travel advice
This 5-domed church is across the road and just east of the Peterhof Palace. It was built in 1905 in the neo-Russian... more travel advice
annk's Related Pages
Peterhof Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Peterhof (Peter's Court)"
- "Peterhof and its amazing fountains"
- "Architectural Gem of Russia"
- "Peter the Great's Little Palace"
- "Peter the Great's Palace"
- "Peterhof - The Russian "Versailles""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peterhof
- Transportation in Peterhof
- Restaurants in Peterhof
- Warnings and Dangers in Peterhof
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Peterhof
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Peterhof?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peterhof
Photos in PeterhofSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Channel Islands National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Aruba Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 26 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poipu Intro, 25 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Santa Barbara Intro, 21 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue