"Why Iceland??" Iceland by annk

Iceland Travel Guide: 5,676 reviews and 17,043 photos

I was reluctant to divulge in my plans to visit Iceland and with good reason too. Most, including close family thought I was nuts. Why would anyone want to visit an ice clad country in the middle of the North Atlantic? There are so many other places in the world to visit and Iceland would be close to last on most people's list. Or some would even ask not only WHY but WHERE? Even at work to my own group, I told most the day before I left that I would be gone for a week and only the date of return.

In my 5 1/2 days of touring, I lucked out with weather mostly sunny and in the 60's. Maybe if it had been rainy & cold I would feel differently about this beautiful country....but my memories are positive ones and now ingrained.

The name Iceland does it no justice as it is only a little more than 10% ice. It is in fact a land of contrasts, nature being the dominant force. A land of incredible beauty but also stark desert and barren terrain. There is sparse vegetation, barely any trees, desert, fields of lava, some black, some covered in a greenish-brown moss. There are green valleys, mountains of all colors, some snow-capped, magnificient glaciers, abundant waterfalls & rocky coastlines. Evidence that the land is geologically young is apparent with active geysirs, extinct volanoes and almost man-made looking basalt columns by the coastal areas.

Was asked upon returning, you wouldn't go back there would you? My reply, in a heartbeat.

PLEASE SEE TRAVELOGUES AS WELL

• Pros:Beautiful and natural, clean air, not crowded
  • Cons:unpredictable weather, usually cool
  • Last visit to Iceland: Jun 2002
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2003

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2009 at 1:46 PM

It was really a refreshing tour on your Iceland page in this hot summer evening! By the way many thanks for your visit on my Santorini. Best. Laszlo

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Hi Ann, I am very jealous! Iceland is certainly on my "hit list" of destinations. I have always wondered if I would "glow in the dark" after taking a swim in the Blue Lagoon geothermal pool..LOL. G'day from Australia.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 6:26 AM

Thanks for sharing nice photos and tips from Iceland. They are useful as I am going there next year.

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Hey Ann! Thanks for visiting my Iceland pages. We had great weather while we were there, too. I hope you can visit again when you can stay longer. I was in waterfall heaven! :-)

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2006 at 12:43 AM

Hi Ann! Wonderful page on wonderful place. I was in Iceland in May and loved it so much. It was a long time dream come true. Happy birthday from Finland!

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 2:38 AM

enjoyd your page and the lovely photos. Iceland has long been on my list of places to visit and finally we go there in 4 weeks

• Igraine's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2006 at 2:56 AM

This country is very high on my wish list! Excellent pictures

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 3:22 PM

Hey Ann. Awesome pix!! This is one place I would have never thought of visiting untill vt too :o) Blue Lagoon fascinates me! I really enjoy reading your pages.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2005 at 11:23 AM

I felt the same way as you about Iceland!! Such an amazing and beautiful country : ))

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2005 at 6:32 PM

You have some beautiful photos. I have never thought of visiting Iceland, but maybe one day.......... : )

annk

“Don't sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Iceland

Have you been to Iceland?

Latest Activity in Iceland