"Why Iceland??" Iceland by annk
Iceland Travel Guide: 5,676 reviews and 17,043 photos
I was reluctant to divulge in my plans to visit Iceland and with good reason too. Most, including close family thought I was nuts. Why would anyone want to visit an ice clad country in the middle of the North Atlantic? There are so many other places in the world to visit and Iceland would be close to last on most people's list. Or some would even ask not only WHY but WHERE? Even at work to my own group, I told most the day before I left that I would be gone for a week and only the date of return.
In my 5 1/2 days of touring, I lucked out with weather mostly sunny and in the 60's. Maybe if it had been rainy & cold I would feel differently about this beautiful country....but my memories are positive ones and now ingrained.
The name Iceland does it no justice as it is only a little more than 10% ice. It is in fact a land of contrasts, nature being the dominant force. A land of incredible beauty but also stark desert and barren terrain. There is sparse vegetation, barely any trees, desert, fields of lava, some black, some covered in a greenish-brown moss. There are green valleys, mountains of all colors, some snow-capped, magnificient glaciers, abundant waterfalls & rocky coastlines. Evidence that the land is geologically young is apparent with active geysirs, extinct volanoes and almost man-made looking basalt columns by the coastal areas.
Was asked upon returning, you wouldn't go back there would you? My reply, in a heartbeat.
PLEASE SEE TRAVELOGUES AS WELL
- Pros:Beautiful and natural, clean air, not crowded
- Cons:unpredictable weather, usually cool
Probably the most prominent landmark in Iceland and built to resemble a mountain of basaltic lava. The interior is light... more travel advice
Vik is the most southern town in Iceland and situated along the coast but is quite unusual in that it doesn't have a... more travel advice
- See All Glaciers
- See All An alternative to expensive lodging
- You can't get any fresher than this!
annk's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 61 Reviews
- 125 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Channel Islands National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Aruba Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 26 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poipu Intro, 25 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Santa Barbara Intro, 21 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue