"MK's brief history and travel interests" martinkonstant's Profile

Starting in East Africa back in the day

I was born and raised in Kenya, Uganda, Tanganyika. My home life more or less began in Nakuru, then the war ended and my Dad returned, we went mining (Mica) in the Uluguru Mountains near Morogoro, then farming near Iringa. With independence coming to all East Africa my folks moved to South Africa but I had a motor cycle accident in Nairobi and - in order to save my right leg - went to the UK.

Prayer answered.

At one stage I felt anxious and prayed. Not long after that I had this motor cycle accident and my right leg was broken and would not heal. I went to the UK for it to be fixed. While in the UK Ian Smith of then Rhodesia declared independence for that country. Remember UDI? - The English were infuriated. On the TV the leader of my church appeared during those days saying;- anything the Government did to quell the rebellion in Rhodesia was acceptanble to the church including the use of mass bombing. I quit that church. My search began.

South Africa.

By the time I reached South Africa I realised that whatever we were doing we were not getting sustainable solutions. By the grace of God I was led to recognise the Baha'i Faith. I became a Baha'i in 1976 for - you see - as the years of search go by one gets clarity; The goal we want is prophesied one shepherd one flock, peace on earth. Now I am retired with minimal pension and want to travel back north, actually to learn and not to teach. I have mde extensive studies of Christianity but in Southern DRC - Lubumbashi - lives a large self-sustaining community of Baha'is and I am keen to see how they live.

Conclusion

Now all my children have left home, my wonderful wife does not mind - within reason - that I go off on Baha'i endeavours. I have reasonable knowledge of the countries mentioned above, a lot is old and therefore obsolete, for now I am looking for advice to travel cheaply from Pretoria to Lubumbashi - any help available?
Warmest regards.
Martin

• Intro Written Jan 15, 2013

• rudysmom626's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Hey Martin! Great job starting your pages and fantastic photos! Can't wait to read more of your tips and check out more photos from your travels! Welcome to VT!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
martinkonstant's Profile Photo

martinkonstant

“Get there, be useful, get back safely”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.