"Yohaho's new Barrow Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Barrow by Yohaho

Barrow Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 142 photos

Barrow? where is Barrow?? Many people ask me the same question when I tell them I have been to Barrow. ok, let me tell you now : )
Barrow is a small Eskimo town(village??) in Northern Alaska. It is located in the Northern tip of Alaska 300 miles north of the Artic circle. Half of the population in town are Inupiat Eskimoes. They still preserve some of their traditions like hunting, fishing, art and craft. As you can imagine, there is only one word to describe the weather: cold. The average daily high temperature is 50F in summer. During summer, the sun does not set for 82 days consecutively and you can see the famous midnight sun. In winter, you encounter another natural wonder: Northern light.
Modern conveniences are availble and they greatly improve their living standard. Let say,to avoid waiting the bus in the snow, each household can simply turn on their tv and switch to the channel that shows the location of buses. They can walk out when they see the bus is coming. As you can imagine, there is only one word to describe the weather: cold. The average daily high temperature is 50F in summer. During summer, the sun does not set for 82 days consecutively and you can see the famous midnight sun. In winter, you encounter another natural wonder: Northern light.
Eskimos are very friendly. I think they are strong though to live in such extreme weather. I was looking forward to see the ice house. However, nowadays they are only built for temporarily use when the eskimos go hunting.
Making a trip to Barrow was a challenge to me........ financially. Yes, $$$$. @_@ A day trip to Barrow from Anchorage costs US$565 including airfare and a day tour. Despite of the high cost of travelling, it is an unique experience to be in the Arctic circle as well as to learn how the eskimo survive in extreme weather.

• Last visit to Barrow: May 2000
  • Intro Written May 21, 2001

• picklegirl's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2004 at 12:12 PM

Oh I want to say I was in the Arctic as well!! (May make it to Barrow next month ;-). What month did you visit?

• Nov 3, 2003 at 12:17 AM

Excellant pages, beautiful albums and useful tips..Highly useful to a tourist.Many many happy returns of the day.Wishing you a happy birthday and great times ahead

• ania70pl's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2003 at 12:37 PM

I wish I could go there and tell others "I've been to the Arctic":-) Great tips and pics.

• martin_nl's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2003 at 12:45 PM

Never heard of this place but it sounds really interesting!

• BorderHopper's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2002 at 12:47 AM

Fascinating trip you made....expensive.....but worth it very much! Thanks for sharing it with those of us who have yet to see Barrow!

Yohaho

“Today is a gift, so we call it PRESENT”

Badges & Stats in Barrow