"INDIA'S IMPRINT" Top 5 Page for this destination India by Hmmmm

India Travel Guide: 28,502 reviews and 78,654 photos

The Land of The Lotus Eaters

"My Men went on and presently met the Lotus-Eaters, nor did these Lotus-Eaters have any thoughts of destroying our companions, but they only gave them Lotus to Taste of. But any of them who ate the honey-sweet fruit of Lotus was unwilling to take any message back, or go away, but they wanted to stay there with the lotus eating people, feeding on Lotus, and forget there way home." An extract from The Odyssey. Homer.

I am certain that it was India that Odysseus and his men stumbled upon. If it wasn't, although I am quite certain that it was, it must have been somewhere extremely close by. I am sure of this because unlike any country that I have ever travelled, In India I was unwilling to take any message back, or go away, I just wanted to stay there with the 'lotus-eating' people, feeding on 'lotus', and forgeting my way home. I still have part of me in India. But then India kept that on purpose. I am quite certain. India knew that I would have to return to reclaim it, taste the lotus again, and lose my way again.....

It is now almost a year later, and still I feel a dull ache, a deep urge, a chronic nudge to return to India. India's Imprint is burned into my soul......

This picture shows a street scene in one of the narrow streets that make up the labyrith behind Marnikarnika Ghat. I like this picture, because it shows the co-existence of light and shadow but mostly it reminds me of the air, filled with the smell of the burning ghats, the sandlewood, the humanity, the smell of the living streets and the waft of puja the floats over the waters of the Ganges.

• Pros:Unfathomable
  • Cons:Unfathomable
  • In a nutshell:An Experience
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2005

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2013 at 6:41 AM

The information in your tips is really interesting and I liked very much your black and white photos
    They are helping me to prepare our next travel to India
    Gracias !!!!

• cuppadamoksha's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Beautiful Pics of India ... come again and this time try and make it to Coorg :) Im sure you will fall in love with a whole new India after Coorg ..best wishes for the new year , may all your travel dreams come true

• LMOPrincess's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2008 at 6:46 AM

Thanks for the hotel tips, will reserve hotel Umaid Bhawan & their new hotel Umaid Mahal. If you need tips about Thailand, Vietnam or NY, email tisarre@gmail.com & I will give you all the info in thaking for great info you gave us about India.

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Great stuff on India! It's my favourite country and will always return. Greetings from South Africa, Pierre

• Shyamuttarkar's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2007 at 12:34 AM

Intense survey you have done.. Keep it up .

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Great page , and thanks for the recipes!! I love Indian food, and movies.Looking at all the great VT pages makes me think I should visit. Don't think I want to swim in any of the rivers there, prefer to take my chances with the gators in Florida...

• Goldenboy's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2007 at 8:34 PM

I love your angle! Great pictures ...

• TONY786's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2006 at 2:20 PM

Wow .. love your pages and pictures, i am envious of your talent.been to the Indian border hope to go further one day

• Bernd_L's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 4:06 AM

Great tips and fantastic pictures about a fascinating country. And I agree totally with what you wrote about poverty and the beggar boys.

• Sep 17, 2006 at 7:51 AM

great page.nikos

Hmmmm

“ONLY THAT UPON WHICH YOU FOCUS, WILL GROW.”

Badges & Stats in India