"KOREA: "Absolutely, Positively, Unintentionally !"" Top 5 Page for this destination South Korea by Hmmmm
South Korea Travel Guide: 6,381 reviews and 17,043 photos
One of the things that interests me most about Korea is it's flexibility. Economically, Korea is already a force to be reckoned with, which is utterly intriguing when one remembers the almost innumerable tragedies that have befallen Korea throughout it's rich history. Today Korea (and its capital, Seoul) is a vibrant and prosperous place, modern and fast moving and yet in the face of this, is fiercely traditional and historically aware.
Korea has a culture-history can be found not only in the landscape that has shaped the people of Korea, but also in the legacies of people from other countries, in particular China and Japan, culminating in a cuture history endemic to the Korean Peninsula, making it a really interesting country to experience...
Seoul is Huge. I recently read that it is number three in the world in metropolitan (agglomerative) population size after Tokyo, and New York and ahead of Mexico City and Rio. Which doesn't surprise me when I stop and anticipate the mass of humanity here.
Seoul, however, is not all human and Human construction (although at times it is hard to tell). Mountains circle Seoul on all sides with Namsan (South Mountain) springing up in the center. Although the Han River once marked the southern boundary, the city has sprawled across to the southern side with some 2 dozen bridges crossing it and one subway tunnel underneath. As Korea's capital and most populous city, Seoul represents the country's center for business, education, and modern culture. But Korea is not only Seoul....
Sometimes the nicest thing one can do is leave Seoul, and enter rural Korea. Apart from the Well known places like Jeonju, Kyeong Ju and Jeju there are score of beautiful magical little places, away from the hordes, little enclaves of yesteryear that allow all of that city stress to escape you in a the whiff of a mountain breeze.
76% of korea is mountainous so everywhere you go in Korea, you will find forest, mountain streams/springs and nearby them, budhist temples. Closeby the buddhist temples but not too close you will find small mountain villages. These are a must see. Traditional (Pre Modern) Korean culture 'auf einen blick'.
I love to try the local fare, photograph some of the people and do my best to make them laugh with my broken korean. Rest assured you may well be the first foreigner many of these people have met. And at time si feel Like I am meeting koreans for the first time as well.
Its wonderful to get out of seoul, so that I can appreciate how wonderful it is to be there. If you get what i mean.....
- Pros:Interesting, action packed, Fast fast fast, and great shopping
- Cons:People EVERYWHERE, Cars EVERYWHERE, Pollution EVERYWHERE
- In a nutshell:Interesting, real and fascinating. But not a place for a Thailand type toursit.
A great course. So large, which is great for Korea. However the fees are pretty steep. But they are worth it. This... more travel advice
- See All Accomodation in Korea
- See All Everland - Great Fun.
- See All Chill Central
- See All Tongdaemun Gate: Wonderful!
- See All When Strolling around any large Korean...
Hmmmm's Related Pages
South Korea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South Korea: It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World!"
- "KOREA: "Absolutely, Positively, Unintentionally !""
- "South Korea"
- "SOUTH KOREA"
- "The Land of the Morning Calm"
- "Korea, Coree, Corea, Hanguk, Daehanminguk"
- "South Korea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Korea
- Hotels in South Korea
- Transportation in South Korea
- Nightlife in South Korea
- Restaurants in South Korea
- Shopping in South Korea
- Warnings and Dangers in South Korea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Korea
- 120 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to South Korea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Korea
- Posted in Travel Rotorua Forum "RE: Hotel Ibis + Novotel locations"
- Commented on one of Outbound88's South Korea travel pages
- Wrote a Review Excellent Sushi and Great Atmosphere in South Korea Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Excellent Sushi and Great Atmosphere"
- updated a South Korea Travel Page "KOREA: "Absolutely, Positively, Unintentionally !""
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 81 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Korea Intro, 63 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 42 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seoul Intro, 38 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varanasi Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju (city) Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kawthoung Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Burma Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nepal Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Wellington Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (81)
Top South Korea hotels
- Seoul Hotels
- 2996 Reviews - 7293 Photos
- Busan Hotels
- 304 Reviews - 739 Photos
- Incheon Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 178 Photos
- Daegu Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 93 Photos
- Suwon Hotels
- 114 Reviews - 303 Photos
- Jeju (city) Hotels
- 47 Reviews - 120 Photos
- Kyongju Hotels
- 187 Reviews - 490 Photos
- Gwangju Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Ulsan Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Pusan Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 45 Photos
- Sokch'o Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 104 Photos
- Okp'o-dong Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 26 Photos
- Kongju Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 41 Photos
- Imun-dong Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Yongsan Hotels
- 1 Review - 3 Photos