"KAWTHOUNG: SEA GYPSIES AND KICK BOXERS." Top 5 Page for this destination Kawthoung by Hmmmm
Kawthoung Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 42 photos
JUST ANOTHER BORDER TOWN? I CERTAINLY THINK NOT! KAWTHOUNG IS A FISHING TOWN SITUATED ON THE SOUTHERN MOST TIP OF MAINLAND BURMA (MYANMAR). Actually its 1hour 30 south of Yangon by plane. Kawthoung Is a bustling town, full of day tourists, Thai visa extenders, freight haulers who constantly cross the frenetic Pakchan Estuary, shop keepers, money changers, and ubiquitous, omnipresent tauts arranging trips and scams for tourists and Burmese alike. A visit to Kawthoung on a sunny day is a feast for the senses.
I had come to Thailand, flown into Phuket, for the sole purpose of crossing into Burma overland. I didn't have long, and I squandered a lot of what time I did have on Patong Beach, soaking up rays by day and getting almost inebriated at night.
The trip was relatively easy. I caught a local A/C bus from the Phuket City bus terminal and headed north for 5 hours to Ranong. Which by the way is a bit of a destination itself. It is well regarded by Thais as a Place to de-stress in thermal springs. How ever Ranong does tend to smack a little of a border town.
A day later, using a mixture of Mototaxis, boats and personal steam, I found my passage accross the broad Pakchan River Estuary to the Burmese Border town of Kawthoung.
I am a New Zealander so I got a rather generous 3 days for my $5 US visa and not the usual 1 day express pass that I was expecting after reading my lonely planet and talking to other tourists. So that was great.
The trip over the Estuary itself was for me even better than arriving at my destination (See my travel Log 'Crossing Pakchan Estuary'). Ever since I can remember I have always wanted to see Burma. As a child I watched movies and read books about old stuffy English Gentlemen moaning about the heat as they surveyed Bagan. And now I was finally here. This little trip to Kawthoung is but a tiny little trip. And by no way can I profess to visiting Burma proper. But Kawthoung is in Burma, and it represents a part of Burmese culture I cannot see when I head North to the Cultural Capitals of Yangon and Mandalay. In Saying this I know I have to see Kawthoung again, because there are still a couple of things left to photograph.
- Pros:Great. Unique and authentic. Great surrounding Islands.
- Cons:Tauts everywhere, and Ongoing Transportation is limited due to Bandits north.
- In a nutshell:Do It! For the experience, for you!.
Night life is pretty much non existant, well nightlife as I know it anyway. Well, lets just say, that you can sit down... more travel advice
Hmmmm's Related Pages
Kawthoung Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KAWTHOUNG: SEA GYPSIES AND KICK BOXERS."
- "Kawthoung: the southern tip of Myanmar"
- "Boarder town to Thailand"
- "The bottom of Burma: Victoria Point"
- "Daytrip from Thailand"
- "A glimpse of Mynmar"
- "My First Taste Of Burma"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kawthoung
- Hotels in Kawthoung
- Transportation in Kawthoung
- Nightlife in Kawthoung
- Shopping in Kawthoung
- Warnings and Dangers in Kawthoung
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kawthoung
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Kawthoung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kawthoung
Photos in KawthoungSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 81 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Korea Intro, 63 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 42 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seoul Intro, 38 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varanasi Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju (city) Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kawthoung Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Burma Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nepal Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Wellington Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos