"Welcome to my World." Hmmmm's Profile
A Traveller! By my faith you have a great reason to be sad; I fear that you have sold your own lands to see other men's; then, to have seen much and have nothing, is to have rich eyes and poor hands.. -William Shakespeare. "As you Like it." Back Up Chat.
The Two Best Things - You know what I love most of all? I love the trip in a taxi from the airport into town.But in a town to which I have never been. I just cannot take that taxi ride enough. My eyes feel new, my heart fills filled and my mind is poised to soak it all up. I usually have my camera out shooting with unadulterated eyes. To me travelling is all about such feasts. Feasts for the eyes, the nose, the ears, the mind, the heart, and for any other part of the body that requires constant nourishment.
The other thing I love most, is arriving in that new Town, City, or Country, dumping my bags in my hotel room, grabbing my camera and running into the thick of it. I perouse, raise the camera, zoom in or out and snap off shots, with my fresh eyes, my eyes that tell me that the most simple, chaotic and ordinary things are beautiful. Because I know within about 2 or 3 hours I will have my feet and those things will feel common place. It is like adjusting to bright light after darkness, or the smell of a sushi restaurant. Pretty soon your eyes won't hurt, or you won't smell fish amines. Its like in a new place, pretty soon you will not notice the small things. This is why I take my 'New Eyes' pictures. Cheers.
Photography is my passion. I first started taking photos when I was a kid. Silly little snaps of this and that. Then one day I took a picture of three Hectors Dolphins surfing a face of a wave, and it looked good. People liked it. After that I was hooked. Travel photography is the the medium that grabs me, shakes me and slaps me about the face. But these days, I am becoming interested in Landscapes. Landscapes have so much Action. The mist rising over a river, with sunbursts stabbing it, making violent holes in it. Or huge bellowing clouds threatening a calm sea. Rain coming down, hammer and tong on an urban landscape making dents in the streets, or a tree all gnarled like an old woman's fingers, leafless lying still, in a snowstorm. Photography rocks. Dramatic representations of our world, taken of course on film, or even better, in medium format with a Rollieflex like the beauty in the picture. Not, never in digital, with megapixels, deleting and doctoring. Would you like fries and a drink with that photo.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 305 Reviews
- 429 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hmmmm will be in Town"
- Hmmmm and hanavlogan are now friends.
updated their Personal Page "My Story: The Very Tame and Abridged Version ;o)"
- Commented on lidek's profile page
- updated a Varanasi Travel Page "Varanasi: Hindusthan's City of Light."
- Posted in Travel Rotorua Forum "RE: Hotel Ibis + Novotel locations"
- Wrote a Review Manikarnika Ghat (Bis.) in India Things to Do
PhotosSee All Photos (429)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 81 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Korea Intro, 63 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 42 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seoul Intro, 38 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varanasi Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju (city) Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kawthoung Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Burma Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nepal Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Wellington Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22488 Reviews - 55061 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3099 Reviews - 5883 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos