"Philippines" lanie2012's Profile

A little about me

I have travelled in many places in my country. But my travels are not really usually for leisure. Oftentimes, I go to poor communities and be with the local people. I do what they do and eat what they eat (so far I haven't eaten something out of this world...lol!). It's my part of my job as a development worker for an international NGO (non-governmental organization). Although I sleep in small lodging houses (I'm not allowed to sleep in village houses during community visit), ride in motorcycles/tricycles or walk kilometers of rough roads, eat whatever is sold on the side of the street, these travels are the best travels that I have because I learned a lot about many things that I never learned in college nor in seminars/trainings. I treasure these travels. My learnings and reflection are what I want to share in VT. Of course, I would do reviews as well to help anybody who wants to visit the places I've been to.

Birthday guest

In one of my community visits, I was not informed that there was to be a birthday celebration. The family prepared pansit bihon (very thin rice noodles fried with soy sauce some citrus), puto (rice cakes), softdrinks and spaghetti. I know that the celebration was quite extravagant for a family (with four children) who earns less than $5 a day. I think they did it because they were told I'm coming. Filipinos are known for hospitality. I felt shy and blessed that day. They have nothing yet they give me everything.

Hide and seek

Sometimes, going to a community or family's house entails crossing rivers like this one, which seems to be in the middle of a forest. "Follow us!" the children teased me as they hopped from one big stone to another before they disappeared behind thick strange plants (for me). How'd do that without tripping nor slipping? I have no idea. And yes, I found the house after several minutes of wandering around the forest and collecting insect bites on my legs. Those kids must be laughing at me in secret. But I enjoyed the hide-and-seek forest version.

• Intro Updated Oct 2, 2012

• rohan_tourist's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

welcome to vt:)

• Ntomnif's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Have an amazing time on board VT Lanie and warm greetings from Cameroon.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Hi Lanie, welcome to VT! Love the sunset photo!

• planxty's Profile Photo
      Sep 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Excellent photo considering it was taken through a 'plane window. Welcome to VT, hope you enjoy it here. Where abouts in the Philippines are you, I am not long back after six months there and really loved it. We have many very active members there so you are in good company. If you need any help getting round the site, just let us know, we are a friendly bunch. fergy.

• lanie2012's Profile Photo
      Sep 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM

thanks, fergy! im from QC. im still exploring this site. :) would love to meet the VT members here in the future. :)

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Hey Lanie, welcome to VT, enjoy in here, "Happy Journeys" ... :)

• lanie2012's Profile Photo
      Sep 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Hi, Trend! Thank you! Nice photo you have on your page. Love the ocean! :)

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo
      Sep 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Thanks for your kind reply na, stay safe always .. :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Hullo and welcome from Brisbane Australia!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
lanie2012's Profile Photo

lanie2012

“Travel is happiness”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.