"Around The World In ∞ Days " Jeanling's Profile

My Story

I am born and bred in Alor Setar. I am warm and affectionate once I got to know you; I may seem aloof and nonchalant for those who doesn't know me well or not close to me... I have been married close to a decade and we are blessed with 2 lovely princesses.

Ethnically I am Chinese but my head and my heart is a mixed bag of all the pieces of experiences I have come across throughout my life - I grew up with Malays and for Malaysian, you would most probably know that I am from Kedah from my heavy Kedahan accent when I speak Malay... :)

Professionally I was trained in the field of food science & technology / food safety. Personality wise I am as curious as the cat (purrrr...) but I guess I have been lucky as I have not been killed so far, still got my 9 lives with me, LOL! I like learning and discovering new thing and I would try everything at least once in life.

~ What I want to do :
1. Give back the world the wonderful things and experiences that I had been privilege to come across and experienced to those who want to make their lives better.
2. Learn Thai - very useful for someone who work and live just across the Thai border :P
3. Go on a duo backpacking trip with my best buddy - Euro Trip??? - hopefully in 2014 :) Another one is going on a solo backpacking trip around the world - one day ;)

Traveling: how I started...

... and I am still starting / in the making!

My first trip together with my friends was in 1993 to Langkawi, my first LIMA (Langkawi International Maritime & Aerospace) Exhibition - more than 10 of us stayed at our classmate's home on the island. After that it was sporadic trips here and there, either with friends / family or doing some personal sightseeing while I'm traveling for business. However, the way and frequency of my travel takes on a different notch starting from 2011 when I opened up myself to all the possibilities, and with a little encouragement from one of my BFF who happens to be a travel junkie herself... so now we have got another travel junkie in the making :)

Alor Setar, Kedah ~ My Home.

Alor Setar is the state capital of Kedah - the rice bowl of Malaysia, albeit not much of that is left here these days compared to what it was 20 years ago. It's not exactly a place where one would visit for a holiday but Alor Setar makes a nice stop over if you are coming in to / going out from Malaysia (from / to Hatyai, Thailand via Dannok) or Langkawi.

Alor Setar is relaxing, slow paced and still retained it's town-city charm. If you are a local, you can almost be certain to bump into someone you know when you go anywhere.

I am on both Couchsurfing and BeWelcome, so for anyone here who is into hospitality exchange, you can get in touch with me as well.

My travel style

My accommodation preference
I travel for both business and pleasure. I have stayed in countless places too, for one purpose or another. VT is a good place to share my experiences and my personal opinion of the places I have been to, and I also hope my accounts will be of help for other fellow travelers as well. I am not a fussy traveler, I'm OK as long as the place is clean, has good ventilation, not smelly (especially with cigarette smell - can't stand that!) has hot shower and clean towels. Any other positive feature is a plus :)

My preferred way of getting around
It depends on what purpose I'm travelling for... if it is for work, time is of essence but if I'm travelling for leisure - buses, mass transport or just walking.

Alor Setar Tips

Check out these links:

Bus: Kuala Kedah to Alor Setar and vice-versa

Places I have been:

My travel pages may look and feel a bit incoherent and lack continuum at the moment. Nonetheless, I have every intention to share information on the places I have been to here at VT and I am updating it as I can. The list below serves more as a note to myself on the places I have been to...

Domestic Trips:

Perlis - Kangar, Arau, Padang Besar, Wang Kelian, Kuala Perlis
Kedah - Alor Setar, Sungai Petani, Gurun, Kulim / Lunas, Langkawi, Jitra, Bukit Kayu Hitam, Pendang, Sik
Pulau Pinang - Butterworth, Bukit Mertajam, Perai, Seberang Jaya, George Town
Perak - Ipoh, Taiping, Pengkalan Hulu, Pulau Pangkor
W.P. Kuala Lumpur - KL City Center, Ampang, Cheras
W.P. Putrajaya
Selangor - Petaling Jaya, Shah Alam, Klang, Seri Kembangan / Serdang, Puchong, Kajang / Bangi, Dengkil, Pulau Ketam
Negeri Sembilan - Seremban, Nilai, Port Dickson

Jul / Aug -Shanghai / Hangzhou / Xitang, China
Nov - Melbourne, Australia

Trips in planning 2014
Italy
China (Xi'an / Guilin / Kunming)
India (Delhi / Agra / Jaipur)

• Intro Updated Oct 9, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Jeanling's Profile Photo

Jeanling

“Bringing our home to the world; bringing to world to our home.”

Real Name