"The Silk thread of Uzi" Uzi Island by AliyA29
Uzi Island Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 6 photos
The life of Uzi Island is always governed by the sea water movement because the island is accessible only when there is either water by canoe or by road when there is no water. The island's main economic activities are fishing, sea weed farming and agriculture. It is inhabited by almost 7000 people and blessed with rich natural resources both marine and upland. It is a home for Zanzibar Colobus monkeys which is endemic to Zanzibar and harbours a viable population of sea turtles
There is only one motorable road which is the main land gate way into the village. there are 5 local trucks that go regularly to the island whose route number is 334 for 1500 Tanzanian Shillings. Other ways to go into the island are by canoes but the tourists and local people use the cars because if you board the canoes you will have to get wet and walk some meters before you get to the shore as there are no built mooring points.
Travel by private car is also possible as long as you are aware of the water tidal movement. You should contact tidal experts or local peolpe to know the times to cross the coral road and some times you need to know the time of coming back to the main Island Zanzibar before you book a visit.
The road is not comfortable and you need a strong 4 wheel drive to ensure safety and convinience of the travel within a stretch of 3 km.
There are several interesting things in Uzi including:
1. Mangrove ecosyetem walk where the visitors with the help of local guides will learn about mangrove ecology.
2. Sea weed farming activity where visitors will learn about sea weed farming practices from the women of Uzi.
3. Kindergaten tour where the visitors will interact with nursery kids and learn thier problems of not having the proper school building.
4. Sea turtle conservation project where the visitors will learn how a local Travel Tourist Agent Zenith Tours and Travel is working hard to make sure that it supports the local people effort to conserve the endangered turtle species.
5. Forest walk where visitors will experience the type of forest that is found in Uzi. The forest is a private one owned by a local dweller who has set few hactares for conservation of wildlife.
6. Village tour to experience the primitive and isolated flavor of the island wherte there is no restaurant or a bar in this Eastern African Island.
7. Sea trip to see some few corals left in the island.
Just to mention a few.
- Pros:Good days to visit are those during Spring tide as the locals are tidal dependeant.
- Cons:The island isolation to the main island has made it sensitive so watch your way of dressing and behaving not to offend this islamic island
- In a nutshell:Getting in and out to Uzi Island needs a great understanding of sea water movement so consult local experts to tell the best time to visit the island
Uzi Island Travel Guide
AliyA29 Was Born Here!
- No VT rank yet.
- 0 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats in Uzi Island
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Uzi Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uzi Island
Photos in Uzi IslandSee All Photos (3)
No friends yet.