"Haggis & the Highlands:Scotland" Scotland by richiecdisc

Scotland Travel Guide: 12,672 reviews and 28,093 photos

I have been to Scotland twice and the trips were separated by 15 years. My first time was a weekend affair that was part of my sophomore trip through Europe. A friend I had met at school in Brighton was going to meet his relatives in Glasgow and to save money we hitched rides on lorries. It was a madcap adventure that found us the toast to the local policeman’s club of which his uncle was captain. It was a rude introduction to Scotch whiskey for me at nineteen and all of ten stone. As a friend of their long lost relative from the States I did not pay for a drink that night, but paid dearly the next day. I’m sure his family showed us the sights of their fair city, but I must confess that all I remember of Glasgow is that hazy night and the great hospitality of the Scottish people in general.

My second exposure was at the tail end of the around the world trip with Kristin. We got a round- trip train from London to Edinburgh and after some initial exploration there; we rented a car and explored the highlands and west coast for around ten days. Scotland had a rugged mountainous beauty combined with a genteel grace that proved charming to our somewhat jaded sensibility. We found places to relax like we hadn’t perhaps on the whole trip, in cozy B & B’s that provided creature comforts right in the midst of natural wonder. Driving around in a car again was a welcome relief from the inconvenience of mass transit. We just went where we wanted, when we wanted. It was easy to find rooms, and easy enough to find pubs too. We did some short walks, one major unplanned one, and saw some sights from car viewpoints, much as any tourist would. And that was nice for a change.

• Last visit to Scotland: Aug 1993
  • Intro Written Sep 12, 2002

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2006 at 12:28 PM

Sounds like a fantastic way to finish off a year-long RTW trip!! Great that your knowledge of the finer points of beer worked so well on the Caledonian Brewers tour too! Had a laugh over the Ben Nevis climb and your Haggis mini beer-fest!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2005 at 6:30 AM

Nice look at Scotland - impressive Glen Coe picture the area is so dramatic

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2005 at 10:18 AM

Lot of pubs and they all look like the Taj Mahal LOL

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2005 at 10:00 AM

I just knew reading that beer story you were going to end up getting freebies! Nice overview and pics. Back for more.

• scotlandscotour's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2004 at 3:03 AM

Very good ! An excellent resource - worth viewing. Very good Bar tips (Nightlife). When are you back? Share a dram?

• Imaniac's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2003 at 3:43 AM

Scotland sure is a great place. I loved my time there. Great page and pics.

• patrikske's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2003 at 2:12 PM

Lovely Scotland page !

• hevbell's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2003 at 12:28 AM

Sounds like you had a great trip around Scotland. Personally I was really disappointed with Loch Ness, there are nicer lochs in the lowlands or Loch Lomond etc And the Haggis! urgh, got put off that for life at school dinners when I was 5 or 6!! :(

• taxing's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2003 at 7:27 PM

I surf around looking for places I plan to go, and somehow always find you were there first. I trust your judgement completely already. Thanks.

• Jan 15, 2003 at 11:23 AM

Great pics!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Scotland

Have you been to Scotland?

Latest Activity in Scotland