"Haggis & the Highlands:Scotland" Scotland by richiecdisc
Scotland Travel Guide: 12,930 reviews and 29,416 photos
I have been to Scotland twice and the trips were separated by 15 years. My first time was a weekend affair that was part of my sophomore trip through Europe. A friend I had met at school in Brighton was going to meet his relatives in Glasgow and to save money we hitched rides on lorries. It was a madcap adventure that found us the toast to the local policeman’s club of which his uncle was captain. It was a rude introduction to Scotch whiskey for me at nineteen and all of ten stone. As a friend of their long lost relative from the States I did not pay for a drink that night, but paid dearly the next day. I’m sure his family showed us the sights of their fair city, but I must confess that all I remember of Glasgow is that hazy night and the great hospitality of the Scottish people in general.
My second exposure was at the tail end of the around the world trip with Kristin. We got a round- trip train from London to Edinburgh and after some initial exploration there; we rented a car and explored the highlands and west coast for around ten days. Scotland had a rugged mountainous beauty combined with a genteel grace that proved charming to our somewhat jaded sensibility. We found places to relax like we hadn’t perhaps on the whole trip, in cozy B & B’s that provided creature comforts right in the midst of natural wonder. Driving around in a car again was a welcome relief from the inconvenience of mass transit. We just went where we wanted, when we wanted. It was easy to find rooms, and easy enough to find pubs too. We did some short walks, one major unplanned one, and saw some sights from car viewpoints, much as any tourist would. And that was nice for a change.
Incredible mountain scenery and ample tourist accommodations and facilities make this a popular destination for hikers... more travel advice
One of the most beautiful lakes in the world is most famous as home to 'Nessie,' or the Loch Ness Monster. more travel advice
- Lakes are called lochs. ...
- Packing List
- We arrived in Edinburgh from...
- Hiking in the Highlands even...
- See All Kenilworth.
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Scotland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scotland For The Brave"
- "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
- "My Scotland page"
- "Alba, Caledonia, "God's Country"; this is Scotland"
- "Ben-UK's Scotland page"
- "Scotland, a sassenach's view"
- "BONNIE SCOTLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scotland
- Hotels in Scotland
- Transportation in Scotland
- Nightlife in Scotland
- Restaurants in Scotland
- Shopping in Scotland
- Warnings and Dangers in Scotland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scotland
- 30 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Scotland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scotland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos