Görlitz Things to Do Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination
Görlitz Things to Do: 172 reviews and 471 photos
impressive sandstone relief of the Annenkapelle
The Annenkapelle or St. Anne’s Chapel dates back to 1508 and features a series of Late Gothic represented in its sandstone relief.
Directions: On the Steinstrasse just past the Dicker Turm on the way to the Obermarkt and close to the Kartoffelhaus too.
just an inkling of things to come in the Altstadt
The Late Gothic Frauenkirche (1459-86) is the only remaining medieval building in the mostly 19th century Postplatz or modern part of Görlitz’s city center
Address: An der Frauenkirche
Directions: Just before you enter the Marienplatz and next to the Karstadt department store.
The Biblisches Haus was built in 1570 after the 1526 fire destroyed all of the original Neissestrasse as well as part of the Untermarkt. Its name comes from the ornate biblical reliefs carved into the sandstone depicting both New and Old Testament scenes.
Address: Neissestrasse 29
Directions: Neissestrasse runs from the river to the Untermarkt.
I love you.....
The Flüsterbogen or “Whispering Arch” is a Late Gothic doorway at house No. 22 of the Undermarkt that all tourists make a spectacle (including us) by whispering (in our case as newlyweds) sweet nothings into one end and waiting for them to come out the other. Hey, it works and it was fun. But yes, we are newlyweds. ;>
Address: Untermarkt 22
Directions: Just look for tourist standing on an arch door way, you can't miss it!
well worth the neck strain
Locally born artist, Bartholomäus Scultetus, built the two faced Astronomical Clock that adorns the Northeast face of the Rathaus’ tower in 1584. The lower and exquisite clock shows the local time while the upper equally impressive clock gives both a 24 hour clock and information about the phases of the moon.
Directions: Look up, it's a bird, it's a plane, no it's an Astronomical Clock.
towering above the Untermarkt, the Rathaus
The Görlitz Rathaus (Town Hall) was built in many phases with it most famous feature, the external staircase by W. Roskopf dating back to the early 1500s and its ample tower featuring two historic clocks
Directions: The focal point of the Untermarkt, the very heart of the Old City center.
majest jewelr, the Schönhof
Perhaps the oldest of Germany’s burgher houses having been built by Roskopf the Elder in 1526, the Schönhof is one of Görlitz’s crown jewels with its corner oriel made all the more dramatic by colorful pilasters.
Address: the end of Bruderstrasse
Directions: Situated where Bruderstrasse enters the Untermarkt, right in the heart of the Old City center.
the formidable Kaiserstrutz
To learn a bit about the city’s illustrious past, stop by the Municipal Museum housed inside the formidable Kaiserstrutz, an armament dating back to 1490. For 3 Euros you can visit it along with the Reichenbacher Turm and climb its 165 steps for a birds eye view.
Directions: In the Demianplatz, just off the Obermarkt in the Old City center.
The Reichenbacher Turm looks over the Obermarkt
Another tower and early remnant of the medieval town center, the Reichenbacher Turm was build between 1376 and 1485 though its Baroque roof was added in 1732. It features the coat of arms of the Lusatian League of Six Cities and houses an annex portion of the museum more formally located in the nearby Kaiserstrutz.
Directions: Separating the Demianplatz and Obermarkt, nearby the Kaiserstrutz.
standing sentry, the Dicker Turm
The Dicker Turm (Thick Tower) dates back to 1305 and stands like a sentry to the Old City center as well as the focal point of the Marienplatz. The town coat of arms is carved in sandstone and was added in 1477.
Address: on Steinstrasse
Directions: At the north end of the Marienplatz in the Old City center.
More Reviews (14)
- good friends and their cameras
- See All Zgorzelec
- See All tough to beat the location and view
- See All Obermarkt
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Görlitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Lesson In Architecture"
- "Gorlitz - on the way to somewhere"
- "The most eastern city in Germany"
- "Welcome to Görlitz"
- "On Finding Gems Unplanned: Görlitz"
- "Görlitz - A Forgotten Jewel"
- "A wonderful weekend in Goerlitz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Görlitz
- Hotels in Görlitz
- Transportation in Görlitz
- Nightlife in Görlitz
- Restaurants in Görlitz
- Shopping in Görlitz
- Warnings and Dangers in Görlitz
- See All...
Explore the World
- Seven Sisters Hotels
- Saint Peter Port Hotels
- Mayrhofen Hotels
- Talisay Hotels
- Pulau Kukup
Badges & Stats in Görlitz
- 26 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Görlitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Görlitz
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Commented on one of iandsmith's Görlitz travel pages
- Wrote a Review good friends and their cameras in Görlitz What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "good friends and their cameras"
- created a Görlitz Travel Page "On Finding Gems Unplanned: Görlitz"
Photos in GörlitzSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos