"An Algonquin Teamwork Blueprint" Top 5 Page for this destination Algonquin Provincial Park by richiecdisc
Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Guide: 277 reviews and 371 photos
When most people think of the great Canadian outdoors, images of the Rocky Mountains rising from dense forest and surreally turquoise lakes generally come to their heads but all the spectacle aside, the lakes region of Eastern Canada offers perhaps a more genuine Canadian experience. This is cottage country at its very best and though the natural terrain of the area lacks the grandiose scale of its western cousin’s, it is a gently beautiful one that is bound to beguile anyone that investigates it. Perched on age-old granite near the edge of the Canadian Shield, Algonquin Provincial Park offers a microcosm of this landscape within its 7725 square kilometer borders. Once the realm of a few hardy aboriginal inhabitants, this area only came under man’s closer scrutiny due to the logging of white pines that once grew in generous profusion. The park was created in 1893 to help stem the tide though by no means stop this activity as wildlife protection and restricted logging existed side by side. Located in a transition zone between north and south Ontario, the park is prime habitat to 45 species of mammals, 262 species of birds, 30 species of reptiles and amphibians, 50 species of fish, and approximately 7000 species of insects (and no, they are not all mosquitoes!). With its close proximately to urban centers like Toronto, it is no wonder it is popular and once one visits, it is easy to understand the affection regulars hold for this special corner of their woods. Though an easy park to scratch the surface of via a corridor road that bisects the enormous tract of land, it is the park interior that affords its true appreciation. With over 15,000 kilometers of canoe and portage routes traversing an innumerable number of lakes, streams, rivers and bogs, one can literally get lost for weeks on end without ever crossing the same area. But no matter how you visit, the cry of a loon or wolves at night will quickly have you joining the legion of park fans in realizing, proximity aside, just how far this place is fundamentally from civilization.
I know there can be hills on hikes and I guess I knew that portages are more or less hikes, but no one told me there... more travel advice
Sometimes you make a mistake that costs you, other times you make out on the deal. One day on the trip I rushed in... more travel advice
- you will not find this on the corridor...
- Canoeing is a great sport
- to portage or not to portage, that is...
- Have canoe will travel....
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wow, Algonquin Provincial Park! So beautiful!"
- "An Algonquin Teamwork Blueprint"
- "Algonquin...A Paradise...for Moose"
- "True Canadian Adventure"
- "Away from the Freeway, and into Algonquin!"
- "Algonquin Provincial Park"
- "Algonquin park."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Hotels in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Transportation in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Nightlife in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Restaurants in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Shopping in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Algonquin Provincial Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Algonquin Provincial Park
- 25 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Algonquin Provincial Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Algonquin Provincial Park
- updated a Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Page "An Algonquin Teamwork Blueprint"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- Wrote a Review all portages are not created equal.... in Algonquin Provincial Park Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "all portages are not created equal...."
- Commented on one of epicult's Algonquin Provincial Park travel pages
Photos in Algonquin Provincial ParkSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos