Banff National Park Transportation Tips by richiecdisc
Banff National Park Transportation: 16 reviews and 18 photos
nice views along the Trans-Canada Highway
Banff National Park is an immense area, let alone if you take into consideration it being surrounded by Jasper, Kootenay, and Yoho National Parks. You really need a vehicle to properly explore just Banff so it is likely you will drive to the park.
We came from Vancouver in our own car, making a stop in Kamloops for the night which is about the half-way point. Vancouver is 850 kilometers and about 9.5 hours driving time. We saw an incredible red full moon just outside of Kamloops and knew it was time to call it a night.
Heading east from there to Calgary, the more typical gateway city, is 125 kilometers and 1.5 hours. If you are going all the way to Glacier National Park in Montana as we were, it is about 500 kilometers or 6 hours. We broke this trip up as we spent the day in Banff and left in the latter part of the afternoon, stopping just short of the Montana border for the night.
The Trans-Canada Highway runs right through the heart of Banff National Park and is quite an engineering feat with numerous animal corridor crossings running over what has become a four-lane highway. The entire corridor, 60 kilometers of highway, is fenced off. It is likely best for animal migration and certainly for their safety if you are going to run such a big highway through a National Park.
It is an incredibly scenic road without a doubt but I found it a bit disconcerting driving on such a highway within the confines of a National Park. Speed limits are posted and are slow enough considering it is fenced off, but it's easy to start speeding when you have such a straight wide road in front of you. Now, it must be understood that this is also a major Canadian Highway, not just a park road so under different strains.
Enjoy the drive and watch your foot on the pedal.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (23)
- recession of glaciers and global warming...
- nothing beats a full moon
- ready, set, go
- See All teahouses are a way of life in Banff NP
- Banff really is a hiking paradise
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Banff National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA'S FIRST NATIONAL PARK"
- "under re construction please come back"
- "The Canadian Rockies"
- "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
- "Not Really Bashing Banff But...."
- "Banff National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banff National Park
- Hotels in Banff National Park
- Transportation in Banff National Park
- Nightlife in Banff National Park
- Restaurants in Banff National Park
- Shopping in Banff National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Banff National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cliffs of the Neuse State Park Hotels
- Obertauern Hotels
- Juangriego Hotels
- Jazirat Abu Zaby Hotels
Badges & Stats in Banff National Park
- 24 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Banff National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banff National Park
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- updated a Banff National Park Travel Page "Not Really Bashing Banff But...."
- Wrote a Review recession of glaciers and global warming are real in Banff National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "recession of glaciers and global warming are real"
- Commented on one of zrim's Banff National Park travel pages
Photos in Banff National ParkSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
Latest Banff National Park hotel reviews
- Brewster's Kananaskis Guest Ranch
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2011
- Bow Valley Motel
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Patricia Lake Bungalows
- 491 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- The Glacier View Inn
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Banff Springs Hotel
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Mt. Engadine Lodge
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2013
- Moraine Lake/ Valley of Ten Peaks- 40 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Peyto Lake- 28 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Johnston Canyon- 24 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Lakes /Mountains /Glaciers / Waterfalls- 48 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Icefields Parkway- 32 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Hiking/Trails- 20 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Lake Louise/Chateau Lake Louise.- 42 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Sulphur Mountain Gondola- 13 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Bow Lake- 14 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Banff Springs Hotel/Bannf Hot Springs- 21 Reviews, 17 Photos
See All Banff National Park Things to Do