"Where the Buffalo Roam: Yellowstone" Yellowstone National Park by richiecdisc

Yellowstone National Park Travel Guide: 1,098 reviews and 3,442 photos

Yellowstone: the world's first National Park

Yellowstone National Park means different things to different people. As the world's first national park it has an unchallenged pedigree. As a mass of land larger than some countries, it represents many terrains, much of its gentle beauty echoing its Native American roots. As home to a diversity of wildlife not easily viewed elsewhere in North America, it takes on a game park mentality for many of its visitors. Below its surface sprouting into the air for hundreds of feet, geothermic energy abounds. Whatever your reason for coming to Yellowstone National Park, it is unlikely you will be disappointed. It is the rare park that delivers dreams to a diverse group of devotees, each very much contingent on preconceived ideas and the very vision of what a national park is. For it is the concept of Yellowstone as such that invented this very idea. An idea that many hold close to their hearts and come to see first hand rather than as figments of their imaginations. Experience colors unworldly, hear the howl of the lone wolf or bubbling mud, feel the rumble of buffalo shake the ground on which you stand, and breathe deeply fumes of sulfur or air so pure it pierces your soul. Remember how special our planet is and why it is our duty to preserve it, the very idea of what a national park is, the very idea of Yellowstone.

though I enjoy it, it is not my favorite

Oddly enough, Yellowstone has never been a personal favorite even though I enjoyed the two times I visited it. I guess I view it as primarily a non-active park, lacking the glossy hikes of Grand Teton National Park just to the south and Glacier National Park north. The truth is there is a fairly extensive network of trails that delve deeply into a park interior that is rarely visited. It is not promoted compared to the park's other attractions and being prime grizzly habitat, many people shy away from them. Perhaps it lacks the stunning scenery or reputation but for some reason, it does not attract avid hikers in the same numbers as does it southern neighbor. That lack of hikers should be a plus for me but I must say I have done little true hiking in the park and have never approached a visit with the idea that I will.

a good thing we don't all like the same things

Perhaps next time I visit, I will but chances are other parks will lure me for hiking and my potential return to Yellowstone will be prompted by wildlife viewing and casual strolls by admittedly beautiful geothermic sights. For me, it's a place for a few days before going to the Grand Tetons while for most, the Grand Tetons are a side trip from Yellowstone. I guess it's good everyone doesn't like the same things or the world would be an even more crowded place.

• Last visit to Yellowstone National Park: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2009

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Richie, Yellowstone looks very impressive to me judging from your photos! It is just one of the many western USA National Parks I would love to visit. Thanks for the excellent tour and 'inside' information!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Wonderful page about a wonderful park Richie :-) You've captured much that I loved there too, but I so wish we too had seen wolves (though we DID see a grizzly!) I agree about Old Faithful - seemed far too staged to me rather than a natural phenomenon

• Dec 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM

stunning photos of the waterfalls richie! yellowstone looks nice, but yeh.. in terms of visiting your pages, i see other NP's that might be more to my liking :)

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM

After they chased the poor little pronghorn I did not want to dance with the wolfs...but I guess they have to eat too

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 2:20 AM

Nice views of this famous National Park with nice wildlife. The Lake view Picnic Table looks like 100% Finland ;-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Ahhh, great!! Dancing with wolves and bisons :-) Though I find wolves more fascinating. These waterfalls look fantastic, so dramatic and so wild! Yes, I understand what you mean and look forward to Grand Tetons :-)

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Yellowstone National Park

Have you been to Yellowstone National Park?