"Tall Tales from the Grand Tetons" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park by richiecdisc
Grand Teton National Park Travel Guide: 314 reviews and 940 photos
The first time you see the Grand Tetons, they look like they will rip through the sky into the heavens above. They are so jagged and sharp looking like a sabertooth saw-blade carved of stone. Conversely, they are surrounded by such gentle beauty: mirror-like lakes, grassy marches, and rolling hills of dense forest that break out into an arid scrubland more reminiscent of the southwestern prairies which only serves to make them all the more surreal. Throw in a few moose, a herd of elk and a bald eagle and you have the making of a park to outshine even its famous neighbor to the north, Yellowstone.
Grand Teton National Park seems a most accessible place on first acquaintance and if driving along a park road and admiring their considerable beauty is what floats your boat, you are in luck. The truth is many visitors treat it as an appendage to Yellowstone and merely drive through it en route to Jackson,WY to the south. A stop by Jenny Lake will suffice for them as having been in the Grand Tetons. The truth is, you can barely leave your car and find some amazing vantage points from which to observe a sublime alpine splendor seen rarely. Short strolls around scenic lakes provide just enough exertion and nature as many need or desire. Much like Yellowstone, there is also formidable wildlife to be “hunted” down with camera in hand and hand on the wheel.
But to really explore the magnificent alpine paradise that is Grand Teton National Park, one has to put in more effort. Any hike into the interior of the park is by the nature of its stunning topography all uphill. Distances are not particularly long and boat shuttles help shorten even them but make no mistake, you will not be walking over a gentle flat path to reach the park's more remote lakes and valleys. While long day hikes can be strung together, this is truly the realm of the backpacker. Perhaps here more than in any other US National Park does a park call out for you to carry a load and camp in its vast wildernesses. The effort may be great but the rewards even greater. Empty meadows and babbling brooks. Seeing a more gentle side of these jagged peaks beckons. Do you want to hear them? I say yes.
Jenny Lake might be only the second largest lake in Grand Teton National Park but it remains most people's favorite due... more travel advice
Grand Teton National Park has an amazing backcountry so bring your backpack if so inclined. If you have ever thought of... more travel advice
- the national park picnic
- See All room in that tent for two
- The Tetons are car country
- See All pronghorn
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Grand Teton National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tall Tales from the Grand Tetons"
- "Majestic Mountains and Moose!"
- "These Mountains cannot be ignored!"
- "Grand Teton or Grand Tetons ?"
- "Grand Teton N.P. - the highest of the Rockies"
- "Best thing about Grand Teton NP? The Locals...."
- "Mountain grandeur"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Teton National Park
- Hotels in Grand Teton National Park
- Transportation in Grand Teton National Park
- Nightlife in Grand Teton National Park
- Restaurants in Grand Teton National Park
- Shopping in Grand Teton National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Teton National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Teton National Park
- 41 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Grand Teton National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Teton National Park
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Grand Teton National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Chapel of the Transformation"
- Wrote a Review Jenny Lake in Grand Teton National Park Things to Do
- updated a Grand Teton National Park Travel Page "Tall Tales from the Grand Tetons"
Photos in Grand Teton National ParkSee All Photos (112)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos