"Something (delightfully) Sour in New Glarus" New Glarus by richiecdisc

New Glarus Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 92 photos

New Glarus is not a cute made for tourist Swiss town which is what you might think at first glance. Though indeed tourist do flock here to soak in the Swiss ambiance, it is such due to the high concentration of Swiss people who immigrated here and founded the town in 1845, naming it after the Canton of Glarus in their home country.

With most hotels and restaurants in the chalet style, flower beds the norm and the Swiss flag as popular as the US one, it is no wonder so many people fall in love with the place on first visit. Toss in some very authentic Swiss food, a bakery or two and one of the finest breweries in the region, and it's surprising that even more people don't pay it a visit.

the quest for beer often leads to great places

Of course, for me, New Glarus Brewing was what brought me to this little hamlet. As so often is the case, my quest for beer leads me to great places I would have missed otherwise.

• Last visit to New Glarus: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 30, 2009

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2011 at 9:45 AM

This sounds so good! I'm thrilled for your Barney awards! Well done!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2010 at 8:08 AM

How did I know a visit to somewhere would involve beer? Just lucky I guess! I just got back from the Outback; saw a couple of classic establishments you would enjoy. Cheers, Ian

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2010 at 4:21 AM

What a pretty town! The hotel looks lovely and the fruit beer sounds tempting (I'm not usually a fan, but I make an exception for cherry as I love the sourness!)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Hello, Richie! I visited a similar place in WI: Monroe....

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2009 at 11:34 PM

What a nice "homey" town you found to wind down your six-month tour. Have a great trip to Columbia!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Berry beer!! Oh wow! Do the bears also visit that brewery? Oh and that fat squirrel beer, does it have anything to do with the killer chipmunk? Gorgeous little town, I love that cow!

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I am not only a happy camper I am also the first one tor rate this page :) cherries+beer=sehr lecker

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in New Glarus

Have you been to New Glarus?