"Getting High in Zion" Top 5 Page for this destination Zion National Park by richiecdisc
Zion National Park Travel Guide: 580 reviews and 1,287 photos
Zion National Park has got to be one of the most gorgeous sights in the world. Sheer red rock in various hues shoot up from a lovely lush flat pastoral valley with a raging Virgin River running through it. It is not hard to imagine a dinosaur lumbering through this Jurassic looking park yet only small traces remain of the area's early inhabitants of 12,000 years ago. Though both Anasazi and Paiute Indians left a more indelible mark a few thousand years later, Mormon settlers seem to have taken not only a more pronounced place it its history but also on the imagination of those who visit it. They even managed to wrangle the name change from its original more Native American sounding Mukuntuweap National Monument. The Christian name of Zion has perhaps a more holy sound to the current people visiting it but no matter the name, it is the person with absolutely no faith who can look upon its beauty without ascribing it to some power above.
Zion National Park is one park that seems to require no effort. You can merely linger in the valley and experience a rare beauty so spectacular yet gentle. Utah as a rule exudes the stunning when it comes to color in rock formation but in Zion it is in stark contrast to the pastoral quality of the valley below. The Virgin River cuts a swath through the sheer cliffs surrounding it and gives birth to a lush forest for this dry part of the country. The road through the park mirror the river but there are also flat walks that parallel the road. This is one place where even a walk of little effort has great rewards so by all means get of your car and walk.
The very cool and rustic Zion Lodge is worth checking out in its own right but another bonus was free Internet. It's not... more travel advice
As I'm sure Native Americans named the beautiful rock formations before them, Mormon settlers had some interesting if a... more travel advice
- See All enjoy the Virgin
- hiking & backpacking
- bring it all
- beware the chains
- Zion Nights
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Zion National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Zion National Park Page"
- "Getting High in Zion"
- "Zion National Park, One of My Favorites"
- "Fall Colours and Waterfalls at Zion NP"
- "Zion National Park"
- "Zion, such a wonderful place"
- "Zion National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zion National Park
- Hotels in Zion National Park
- Transportation in Zion National Park
- Nightlife in Zion National Park
- Restaurants in Zion National Park
- Shopping in Zion National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Zion National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zion National Park
- 31 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Zion National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zion National Park
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Commented on one of jumpingnorman's Zion National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Zion in snow"
- Wrote a Review free Internet if you have time in Zion National Park Local Customs
- updated a Zion National Park Travel Page "Getting High in Zion"
Photos in Zion National ParkSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos