"Getting High in Zion" Top 5 Page for this destination Zion National Park by richiecdisc

Zion National Park Travel Guide: 580 reviews and 1,287 photos

Zion National Park has got to be one of the most gorgeous sights in the world. Sheer red rock in various hues shoot up from a lovely lush flat pastoral valley with a raging Virgin River running through it. It is not hard to imagine a dinosaur lumbering through this Jurassic looking park yet only small traces remain of the area's early inhabitants of 12,000 years ago. Though both Anasazi and Paiute Indians left a more indelible mark a few thousand years later, Mormon settlers seem to have taken not only a more pronounced place it its history but also on the imagination of those who visit it. They even managed to wrangle the name change from its original more Native American sounding Mukuntuweap National Monument. The Christian name of Zion has perhaps a more holy sound to the current people visiting it but no matter the name, it is the person with absolutely no faith who can look upon its beauty without ascribing it to some power above.

take even a short walk

Zion National Park is one park that seems to require no effort. You can merely linger in the valley and experience a rare beauty so spectacular yet gentle. Utah as a rule exudes the stunning when it comes to color in rock formation but in Zion it is in stark contrast to the pastoral quality of the valley below. The Virgin River cuts a swath through the sheer cliffs surrounding it and gives birth to a lush forest for this dry part of the country. The road through the park mirror the river but there are also flat walks that parallel the road. This is one place where even a walk of little effort has great rewards so by all means get of your car and walk.

happy to be in Zion

• Last visit to Zion National Park: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 13, 2009

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Another fascinating page with beautiful photos! Great that Zion has free electric shuttle buses every seven minutes. I hope you had (or are having) a stress-free move to Munich.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Thanks! I knew I could rely on you for some fantastic pages on the National Parks!! Zion is on my list of course. I just don't hope I'll see snow there, lol, we've got enough at that here at home (sigh, it's snowing again today).

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2009 at 5:09 AM

Gorgeous reminder of 2 trips we made to Zion - late October with fall colour and January blissfully quiet. My favourite corner of my favourite region of the US. Fabulous photos. leyle

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Another beautiful little piece of the American west Richie! Those deep canyons and cream-coloured peaks would really be something to marvel at in 'real-life'! The chain hike sounded very interesting too!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM

More stunning photos Richie, and I liked the occasional B&W ones - the one on your Internet tip is sort of Ansel Adams -ish. And I had to laugh at the Polygamy Porter ;-)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I read some more of your comments and trail hike tips. Thanks for the insight. My September trip looks to be power packed.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Lol, and I was wondering where your name comes from :-)) Fantastic photos and descriptions, but I cannot believe a unisex shower existing in Utah.... ahhh... I want to go, too :-)) Hiking that is, red rock country that is :-)

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I remember our little homestead...& how we felt about it... Now, let's imagine we are pioneers settling in a tropical paradise, fighting the heat, humidity, mosquitoes...we can do it!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Zion National Park

Have you been to Zion National Park?

Latest Activity in Zion National Park