"Monument Valley: Time to Step Up" Top 5 Page for this destination Monument Valley State Park by richiecdisc
Monument Valley State Park Travel Guide: 363 reviews and 1,139 photos
Monument Valley may conjure visions of John Wayne and the Wild West but this is Navajo country. It is not a National Park as some would have it but a full fledged Tribal Park. While it is true that many a spaghetti western was filmed here and the scenic bluffs that dot the otherwise bleak horizon are about as American as apple pie, Native Americans have held the place sacred long before John Ford emblazoned it on celluloid. Would it be run better as a National Park? Probably. Would they be building a big hotel visible from its famous Mittens bluffs? Probably not. For better or worse, this is one park you will experience in all its Native glory. Its beauty shines through despite what feels like mismanagement. You will somehow feel you are no longer in the good old USA. That's okay, you're not. You're in Navajo country.
The page that follows will undoubtedly offend some people and I must admit to having a hard time coming to terms with Monument Valley. My first experience in 1995 left a sour taste in my mouth and I returned to in 2008 to not only show a beautiful place to my wife for her first time but also to give it another chance. While it was a better visit, I still found it lacking. A place as beautiful as this deserves a better presentation and for me that does not have to involve paved roads and water fountains at all the pullouts. It doesn't have to be gussied up and lose its rugged remoteness. Change can be simple like some explanatory displays at a visitor center, perhaps some printed material about the Scenic Valley Drive along with insights about the people who lived and live there.
To be fair, there was considerable construction going on while we were there. I feared a huge high rise hotel was being built but I see on the Internet that it is a modest two-story building in a reddish sandstone which blends pretty well into the surrounding. I don't agree with its placement but I'm sure it will give jobs to locals. A new visitor center was also being built and it can only be hoped that it represents this incredible landscape better and ushers in a new era for Monument Valley. It may never be a National Park but the Navajo Nation should do everything it can to make sure this sacred land is viewed favorably when it is invariably compared to its competitors in the park system.
I thought this little shop conveniently located near the Artist's Point was interesting mostly for its sign outside.... more travel advice
Though this little museum is not part of Monument Valley, it's unlikely that many people come all the way out here... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Monument Valley State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monument Valley - May You Walk In Beauty"
- "Monument Valley State Park"
- "Monument Valley"
- "Monument Valley: Time to Step Up"
- "MONUMENT VALLEY NAVAJO TRIBAL PARK"
- "Jumping Around Monument Valley!"
- "Fabulous Cowboy Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monument Valley State Park
- Hotels in Monument Valley State Park
- Transportation in Monument Valley State Park
- Nightlife in Monument Valley State Park
- Restaurants in Monument Valley State Park
- Shopping in Monument Valley State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Monument Valley State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monument Valley State Park
- 17 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Monument Valley State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monument Valley State Park
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Monument Valley State Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Cowboys & Indians in Monument Valley State Park Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cowboys & Indians"
- updated a Monument Valley State Park Travel Page "Monument Valley: Time to Step Up"
Photos in Monument Valley State ParkSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos