"Goblins & Pronghorns & Showers, Oh My!" Top 5 Page for this destination Goblin Valley State Park by richiecdisc

Goblin Valley State Park Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 65 photos

Though only under state protection since 1964, Goblin Valley State Park was already an attraction as dubbed “Mushroom Valley” by Arthur Chaffin during his photographic shoot in 1949. His attraction to the area dates back to the 1920s but cowboys ran cattle through here long before that. Despite the remoteness of the valley, it would seem very unlikely that Native Americans did not hold it in some reverence when one looks upon the amazing conglomeration of mystical rocks.

truly magical

Erosion and the raising of the Colorado Plateau may explain this unusual formation but the story of its effect on man when he first saw it can only be imagined. Fortunately for us, we can imagine it pretty well as it is likely the same one we have when stumbling upon this jumble of red rock that seems to stand to this day as an army of goblins acting sentry to the Henry Mountains just beyond. A visit here at sunset is truly magical.

• Last visit to Goblin Valley State Park: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 4, 2009

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2011 at 9:34 AM

There is that wonderful blue tent. Do you still use it? Lovely page and as always I enjoy the photographs and very wonderful infortmation. Nice page!

• Jun 14, 2010 at 10:15 PM

i had never heard of this park, but it surely looks not to be missed! you sure got a good camping spot that night! haha. fantastic pics as per usual ;)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Besides a lot of the 11 parks I visited in Utah/Az and you also visited, this one was unique for sure. I did not have time to hike in, but you gave me the perspective. Good presentation. I posted it under Capitol Reef and Green River sites, though.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 7:11 PM

No wonder you were astounded by Goblin Valley SP! I thought I had already seen it all too on your other park pages! Another totally awesome place Richie!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Goodness, what a prime luxury this campground looks like!! But it is good to see that Goblin moved out of the shadow and draws travellers now with its gorgeous landscape as "in between NPs" :-)

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 12:20 PM

not heard of this park but it looks great, amazing scenery

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Our pronghorn friend was probably intrigued by our identical fur...I mean uniform

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Goblin Valley State Park

Have you been to Goblin Valley State Park?