Capitol Reef National Park Sports & Outdoors Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination
Capitol Reef National Park Sports & Outdoors: 6 reviews and 9 photos
views like this are worth the effort
While you can see quite a bit of the park from its scenic drives, there is no way to get a better feel and view of this great landscape than by hiking into it. Capitol Reef National Park has some of Utah's nicest hiking trails and you will be happy to find them a lot less busy than in other Utah National Parks. There are trails for every level of hiker and as a rule the walks are short to medium length. Elevation change can be from very little to up to 1500 feet so even the hardest hikes are possible for anyone in decent shape. These more difficult hikes are well worth it as they afford amazing views and a real chance to escape what little crowds this gem of a park does attract.
Equipment: As with all desert hiking, carry plenty of water. Four liters per day is recommended but obviously if you are hiking only a mile a liter will suffice. Sunscreen is essential as is a wide brimmed hat or at least a baseball cap. Light colored long sleeve shorts and pants are best for sun protection and good for changes in the weather, always possible at this elevation. Sturdy hiking boots are needed for the rocky traverses you will encounter on all but the easiest trails.
Directions: Pick up free hiking guide at visitor center for trail head and trail info.
More Reviews (31)
- bring it all for the Big Sky
- See All A Capitol Reef Pie Companion
- take the highway, that's the best
- See All America the Beautiful Pass
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Capitol Reef National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Capitol Reef Pie Companion"
- "An Eclectic Mix of Rock Formations"
- "The Big Wrinkle"
- "Can You Keep A Secret?"
- "Basaic Capitol Reef National Park Page"
- "Capitol Reef National Park"
- "A great lesser known park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Capitol Reef National Park
- Hotels in Capitol Reef National Park
- Transportation in Capitol Reef National Park
- Restaurants in Capitol Reef National Park
- Shopping in Capitol Reef National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Capitol Reef National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Southampton Parish Hotels
- Shah Alam
- North Myrtle Beach
- Puttur Hotels
- Litlit Hotels
- Manorhamilton Hotels
Badges & Stats in Capitol Reef National Park
- 32 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Capitol Reef National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Capitol Reef National Park
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Capitol Reef National Park travel pages
- updated a Capitol Reef National Park Travel Page "A Capitol Reef Pie Companion"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Molly's Nipple"
- Wrote a Review bring it all for the Big Sky in Capitol Reef National Park What to Pack
Photos in Capitol Reef National ParkSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos