"A Capitol Reef Pie Companion" Top 5 Page for this destination Capitol Reef National Park by richiecdisc
Capitol Reef National Park Travel Guide: 200 reviews and 449 photos
It is not hard to imagine the colorfully hued rock formations of Utah being submerged under a sea of blue. They would perhaps fit better there than sitting incongruously on the planet's exterior. Capitol Reef National Park's name comes from its hallmark feature, the Waterpocket Fold. This 100 mile unbroken buckling of the Earth's surface was called a reef by early settlers referring to its impenetrability.
Yet, the least famous and visited of Utah's National Parks is much more than this unusual wrinkle on the planet's crust; it is valley full of life with a river flowing through it. The Fremont River sustained the Navajo, from whom the sandstone forming the park's colorful features takes its name, and the Mormons who forged a land of fruit and plenty in an otherwise unlikely place.
The park's lack of visitors is one of its great pleasures, with one of the more developed but least used hiking networks among Utah parks. Combine this with surreal scenic drives as well as well-preserved remnants of early Mormon settler life and one can easily be wooed by an idyllic pastoral quality, where fruit orchards and rainbow rocks mix effortlessly in a place the Navajo so eloquently called The Land of the Sleeping Rainbow.
Though there are some backcountry trails, one should be an experienced canyon hiker and water is scarce. So, you might... more travel advice
Most places have an image that define them and if strong enough they embed themselves in our minds long before we see... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Capitol Reef National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Capitol Reef Pie Companion"
- "The Big Wrinkle"
- "An Eclectic Mix of Rock Formations"
- "Can You Keep A Secret?"
- "Basaic Capitol Reef National Park Page"
- "Capitol Reef National Park"
- "A great lesser known park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Capitol Reef National Park
- Hotels in Capitol Reef National Park
- Transportation in Capitol Reef National Park
- Restaurants in Capitol Reef National Park
- Shopping in Capitol Reef National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Capitol Reef National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Capitol Reef National Park
- 32 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Capitol Reef National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Capitol Reef National Park
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Capitol Reef National Park travel pages
- updated a Capitol Reef National Park Travel Page "A Capitol Reef Pie Companion"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Molly's Nipple"
- Wrote a Review bring it all for the Big Sky in Capitol Reef National Park What to Pack
Photos in Capitol Reef National ParkSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos