"The Watermelon Settlement: Canyonlands" Canyonlands National Park by richiecdisc
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 476 photos
Canyonlands can easily be construed as a poor man's Grand Canyon but this beautiful area is much more than a mere little brother to its more famous sibling. With a similar mesa strewn river gorged topography, Canyonlands differs as much in its more varied accessibility than in its size. But make no mistake, this accessibility is not of the easy variety, it is for the fully prepared and adventurous. Sure there are the simple drive by overlooks off paved roads as in the Grand Canyon but, one has more opportunity to reach both the Colorado and Green Rivers here. Take heed, the roads are a criss-cross of four-wheel drive tracks that only the hearty dare tackle.
As with all such allowances of motorized transport into an remote area, it can have both good and bad effects. When remote areas become more accessible even if only to the adventurous, the potential of solitude is open to being more easily interrupted even if these very roads are what make some of these areas possible in the first place. For this reason, while enjoying the protection and restraints of a National Park, Canyonlands has more the feel of a National Recreation Area. Enjoy it as such and you will find a park wild and spectacular, ready to be taken by those up to the task.
While Canyonlands is indeed a National Park it seems more like a National Recreation Area with regard to its more... more travel advice
After much debate, we decided that Arches should be our priority. Each day got hotter and June was close on the... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the Canyons"
- "Kimberlyann's Canyonlands National Park, Utah"
- "Basaic Canyonlands National Park Page"
- "Large Park Spread Over Miles"
- "Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District"
- "The Watermelon Settlement: Canyonlands"
- "Canyonlands - Remote, Tough, and Beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canyonlands National Park
- Hotels in Canyonlands National Park
- Transportation in Canyonlands National Park
- Restaurants in Canyonlands National Park
- Shopping in Canyonlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Canyonlands National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Canyonlands National Park
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Canyonlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canyonlands National Park
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Watermelon Settlement: Canyonlands"
- updated a Canyonlands National Park Travel Page "The Watermelon Settlement: Canyonlands"
- Wrote a Review an adventure park in Canyonlands National Park Things to Do
- Commented on one of SteveOSF's Canyonlands National Park travel pages
Photos in Canyonlands National ParkSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
Latest Canyonlands National Park hotel reviews
- Squaw Flat Campground
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013