"Don't Think Thrice, Bryce is All Right!" Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park by richiecdisc

Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 588 reviews and 1,512 photos

Bryce Canyon National Park seems almost too perfect. There is an eery Disney-like quality to the surrealistically colorful hoodoos and the park's innovative trails that bring visitors into tight weaves amongst what initially look like plastic recreations of sand drippings from above. But make no mistake these are sandstone formations made entirely by the forces of nature. What nature intended in its result is not entirely certain but its effect on man is not: awe.

the spell of Bryce

The spell that Bryce Canyon casts on all visitors who gaze upon its hoodoos is nothing new. Paiutes attributed the magical rock formations to being people turned to stone by a god-like coyote and it would be the rare person indeed who did not ascribe their formation to some type of power from above. Sure, we all know about erosion but why here and in such profusion. Their formation can be explained physically but how can it be that the result is so visually stunning, so stiring within? Man's all consuming need to pose such questions lies at the very core of why we as a species are drawn to such sites to not only gaze but contemplate our place in the universe. It is perhaps the only time we realize that we are likely not the center of any such constellation.

• Last visit to Bryce Canyon National Park: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2009

• RockiesTraveler's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Hi Richiedisc! How do you carry your camera and tripod with you when you hike the steeper trails? I've tried in a small pouch hung on a sling, and in my backpack, but all the in and out of the bag gets annoying, and harder to hike if I need poles.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2009 at 9:32 AM

This one was well worth saving up ;-) I remember these colours and shapes so well, but I don't think we stayed long enough to do it justice as you have done. And wonderful tribute to D in your General tip :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 5:09 AM

Another jewel in the crown - what a beautiful collection of rock formations! I can't get over how many wonderful parks Utah has. Hey, that rock formation really does look like Queen Victoria!

• Jul 14, 2009 at 10:04 PM

your general tips... sigh... bring me to tears boy! lol. awesome page about one of my fave places in the usa! your photos are simply magnificent!

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2009 at 2:08 PM

What about the camel behind Victoria? And I forgot the name of my favorite rock formation there... well, we might have to go back to find out ;)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Ahhh.... my good old beloved Bryce Canyon is still there and looks gorgeous as ever! I love your photo with the tree shadows on the rocks and oops, yes, Navajo Loop is a slot canyon.. I am looking forward to my volunteer days there :-)

richiecdisc Visits Here Frequently!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Bryce Canyon National Park

Have you been to Bryce Canyon National Park?