Arches National Park Hotel Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination
Arches National Park Hotels: 68 reviews and 27 photos
early morning tent
The Devil's Garden Campground is the crown jewel of the National Park system. I have been lucky to camp at many of the park system's campgrounds and surely all the most noted, and I can say without much hesitation that this one is the best. Of course, if you hate the desert and glowing red rock scenery, please head to the forests of another park. You would be doing everyone a favor since thousands are turned away from this gem every year for lack of space. About the only thing missing here is showers due to lack of precious water. Sure, they could truck it in and they already do for drinking water purposes but that would increase prices and put more of a stress on the environment than need be. If you can't go without a shower for a couple days, stay in town and drive 50 miles round trip every day. Hey, at least it's a pretty drive.
Spots can be reserved and if on a tight schedule you should certainly do this well in advance as this is one very popular campground. It was a very reasonable $15 a night in the spring of 2008 but I see it's gone up to $20, still in line with many other parks with far less of a water problem. This can be done between 180 and 4 days of arrival. So, you can't call the night before and hope to get a spot. My guess is you won't likely get one 4 days ahead of time during the busy season.
If you are traveling foot loose and fancy free, they luckily have left 24 spots open to walk-in campers. You simply show up and hope there is a spot available. Obviously, people stay for more than one night and not all of the spots open up each day. My suggestion? Get there very early.
Unique Qualities: We got to the park in the afternoon and of course there were no spots. We camped at nearby Canyonlands for one night and returned at 4:30 AM the next morning. We were not the first ones there either! At 7:30 AM they informed the hundred people waiting that there were 7 spots opening up that day. We were glad we were crazy enough to get up that early. It was first come first serve after that and we got an amazing spot. It was huge and plenty big for the ten people the park allows. It was set right in the rock rock fins so we had some shade. Our tent went on a nice sandy patch high on a hill looking down at our picnic table and car. It was worth carrying everything up there, believe me. Jack rabbits and deer scurried through every morning. It was a paradise we'll never forget. If you like camping and the desert, make sure to camp here.
Comparison: least expensive
Directions: At the end of the Arches Scenic Drive, 18 miles from the park's entrance.
Price: less than US$20
More Reviews (34)
- I love beer but
- you can't always dress the part
- come prepared to camp or miss a lot
- America the Beautiful
- See All pick up the Visitor's Guide
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Arches National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arches NP - Arches Sandstone Wonderland"
- "Finding the Angles at Arches"
- "Arches National Park"
- "Vistas around every bend..."
- "Amazing Arches"
- "ARCHES NATIONAL PARK - UTAH"
- "Desert Gem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arches National Park
- Hotels in Arches National Park
- Transportation in Arches National Park
- Nightlife in Arches National Park
- Restaurants in Arches National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Arches National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hotel St. George Prague
- Hotel Scribe
- Intown Suites Northside Drive
- La Isla Bonita Resort
- InterContinental Thalasso-Spa Bora Bora
- Ocean Resort Inn
- Acacia Seaside Inn Boutique
- The Inn At Lake Lucerne
- Stage Coach Inn
- The Time Hotel
- Hotel Vendome Saint Germain Paris
- Albergo All'Angelo
- Nena Hotel
Badges & Stats in Arches National Park
- 35 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Arches National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arches National Park
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Arches National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review I love beer but in Arches National Park Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "come prepared to camp or miss a lot"
- updated a Arches National Park Travel Page "Finding the Angles at Arches"
Photos in Arches National ParkSee All Photos (66)
Read real reviews about Arches National Park Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
Latest Arches National Park hotel reviews
- Devil's Garden Campground
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013