"Finding the Angles at Arches" Top 5 Page for this destination Arches National Park by richiecdisc
Arches National Park Travel Guide: 609 reviews and 1,580 photos
Arches may not have the lineage of a Yosemite or Yellowstone, its National Park status dating back to only 1971, but its history as an evolving geologic wonder and attractor of mankind is considerably longer. Formed of ancient oceans depositing salt resulting in the area's trademark Entrada Sandstone, Arches is a textbook example of erosion with wind, sand, ice and gravity all playing important roles in the sculpting of the fins and arches that define the park.
Native Americans roamed areas that now comprise the park, leaving petroglyphs and other traces of their presence but none suggesting a true settlement. Aside from the remnants of one cattle rancher's twenty-year reign, there is little to proof that anyone called this land home for long. An inhospitable and remote place is the only explanation for surely any that came upon the scenic wonder of Arches would have felt the same awe and wonder we do today.
With over two thousand recorded arches and countless fins waiting to fill the void of those that crumble, we should feel lucky that not only a National Park was formed to protect them but one that makes many accessible and a joy to camp amongst them under an endless sky of stars.
I love beer and it would have been very easy to spend my nights at the Moab Brewery in town but then my lovely wife... more travel advice
Arches is not a backpacking park so a day bag will suffice for their relatively short hikes. Sturdy hiking boots are... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Arches National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arches NP - Arches Sandstone Wonderland"
- "Finding the Angles at Arches"
- "Arches National Park"
- "Vistas around every bend..."
- "Amazing Arches"
- "ARCHES NATIONAL PARK - UTAH"
- "Desert Gem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arches National Park
- Hotels in Arches National Park
- Transportation in Arches National Park
- Nightlife in Arches National Park
- Restaurants in Arches National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Arches National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arches National Park
- 35 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Arches National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arches National Park
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Arches National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review I love beer but in Arches National Park Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "come prepared to camp or miss a lot"
- updated a Arches National Park Travel Page "Finding the Angles at Arches"
Photos in Arches National ParkSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
Latest Arches National Park hotel reviews
- Devil's Garden Campground
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013