"Build it and They will come: Cadillac Ranch" Amarillo by richiecdisc

Amarillo Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 243 photos

The Yellow Rose of Texas, Amarillo, lies smack dab in the middle of the narrowest part of the state which spans a mere two and a half hours across. This makes the drive a lot less daunting than driving through from the Louisiana border to El Paso on Texas western perimeter, nearly a twelve hour jaunt. It also brings you along the Texas portion of Route 66. Other than that, there isn't much of a reason to embark across this very flat and barren stretch of the country. Oh, unless you like Cadillacs that is. Home to the Cadillac Ranch and in an odd way to one of the great embodiments of the American Dream, Amarillo is on a lot more people's lists of stops across the USA than it would otherwise be.

Bruce Springsteen's "Cadillac Ranch"

Well there she sits buddy just a-gleaming in the sun
There to greet a working man when his day is done
I'm gonna pack my pa and I'm gonna pack my aunt
I'm gonna take them down to the Cadillac Ranch
Eldorado fins, whitewalls and skirts
Rides just like a little bit of heaven here on earth
Well buddy when I die throw my body in the back
And drive me to the junkyard in my Cadillac

• Last visit to Amarillo: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated May 7, 2009

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Ok we are arriving to the desert . . . but . . . cadillacs and pyramids?!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Great description of "the American Dream of mobility, hope, commercialism and perhaps a pinch of despair." Do you have to bring your own spray paint, or is it provided?

• Antji's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Crazy! Brumm... Brumm....Brumm:) I never heard of this Cadillac- Farm. I can imagine that D. felt like in a kindergarden;) The athmosphere must be great!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2009 at 4:14 AM

Oh I have GOT to see this one day!! It is everything I love about being on the road in the US - quirky, photogenic, and impossible to imagine anywhere else but here ;-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Great little page Richie! You are correct - driving across the vast western streches of North America you never know what sort of wierd sights you will come across! Nice paint job by D.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Wow, these cars look really good now!

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2009 at 3:58 PM

"maybe. just maybe." You know that I know you better. Maybe.

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Amarillo

Have you been to Amarillo?