"Down Home Memphis Hospitality & Pride" Top 5 Page for this destination Memphis by richiecdisc
Memphis Travel Guide: 706 reviews and 1,598 photos
Birthplace to the blues, home to rock 'n' roll, perfecter of BBQ, Memphis has many monikers but its long history is filled with colorful characters, yellow fever outbreaks, and perhaps most sadly the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. It's hard to wander its now quiet streets and imagine what an epicenter of the south the proud city once was but its illustrious past dates back to 1819. It was home to the man who penned “Memphis Blues” which spawned a blues craze on Beale Street that made the city the undisputed Blues capitol of the world. Sun Records was based here which brought the world Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash. Stax Records was the the Rhythm & Blues version with Otis Redding just one of their many acts. It's no small wonder that many of its sights are music related with visits to Graceland and Sun Records two musts. There's no shortage of current live music. Beale Street may not be quite the eye of the tornado it once was but you can come any time of day and hear bands play. Memphis might not be the force it once was but as a tourist destination it remains a strong player. With some steller attractions, a thriving restaurant/club/pub scene and early 20th century architecture, visitors will not be disappointed. But perhaps what makes the town so special is its people, a friendly lot who take their time to make you feel welcome. Down Home. Deep South. Hospitality. That's Memphis, Tennessee.
Early morning, April 4
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride
In the name of love
What more in the name of love
Going to Memphis and not eating BBQ is like going to Germany and not eating sausages. You're just missing out on something. Bad BBQ is probably hard to find but finding the best is another matter. All the research in the world isn't going to help you like asking a local. Of course, you're likely to get a lot of different responses because when it comes to BBQ everyone has their own opinion. I mean EVERYONE.
Neither of our numbers were called but as chance would have it one of our new friend's was and he promptly said to... more travel advice
Heading out of New Orleans we were driving north, a funny direction when you're destination in the long run is west.... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Memphis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Hometown, USA, Memphis, Tennessee"
- "Home of the Blues & Birthplace of Rock 'n Roll"
- "Graceland, Music, and BBQ!"
- "Ducks, Grizzlies and Kings"
- "Down Home Memphis Hospitality & Pride"
- "The Three Kings of Memphis"
- "Memphis, Tennessee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Memphis
- Hotels in Memphis
- Transportation in Memphis
- Nightlife in Memphis
- Restaurants in Memphis
- Shopping in Memphis
- Warnings and Dangers in Memphis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Memphis
- 12 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Memphis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Memphis
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- updated a Memphis Travel Page "Down Home Memphis Hospitality & Pride"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Down Home Memphis Hospitality & Pride"
- Wrote a Review local hospitality sets Memphis apart in Memphis Favorites
- Commented on one of Malinduli's Memphis travel pages
Photos in MemphisSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos