"Orientation of the Nation" Orient by richiecdisc

Orient Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 6 photos

Why Orient, South Dakota? It's kind of on the way between Denver and Philadelphia. Well, that is if you want to drop by New Glarus, Wisconsin and wouldn't mind stopping in Badlands National Park. Oh, and it wouldn't hurt if you have a friend who has a farm in Orient and he promises you a ride in a tractor. I guess what it all boils down to is you have to want to experience middle America in all its often boring glory. Don't fret that locals won't be voting for Obama Bin Laden as they like to refer to our next President of the United States, they don't mean no harm. No, in fact, they are a friendly lot who will feed and treat you as if kin even if times are tough. Oil down, so is grain. But not these folks. You might not see eye to eye with them but after a few days you'll at least see their point. You'll drive away perhaps not agreeing but understanding that where you live does in fact have a strong bearing on how you think. Am I voting for Obama anyway? You damn Bin Laden I am.

Note: This was the first page I wrote from our 2008 trip around the US but time-wise it fits more towards the end of our travels. Obviously, since Obama was elected.

• Last visit to Orient: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2009

• Antji's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2009 at 3:41 AM

Sounds interesting dear Richie! Love the pic with the sunflowers and your stile to write;) Have a great weekend!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 3:48 AM

I wonder if these folks in Orient SD will be watching the inauguration today along with the rest of the world, and what they will make of it. Good that you could have a friendly visit with them despite politically opposing views. That's how it should be.

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2008 at 11:08 AM

It certainly was a wonderful and very interesting experience to get to know the heartland. And the apple sauce was not bad either ;)

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 11:12 AM

You still know how to tell a story! Excellent read Richie!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 3:50 AM

Indeed Richie, the big day is not far off now! It is always great to get way out there in the countryside to see what a real working-man's life is like. That's beautiful looking weather and scenery you two had in Orient!

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 4:33 PM

a heart warming read and echo the other comments here

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Oh fascinating, Richie :-)) I know I am repeating myself, but go write!!!! These = THESE are the stories we all want and need to hear to get our minds also think and look across to other opinions. BTW: Michael Palin would make a good president :-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Very interesting reading for a spectator from the other side of the pond! I know where my vote would go if I had one (I'm with you all the way!) but I also know from experience that you don't have to share someone's politics to like them!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Oh yeah, reading this I come to think that maybe I shouldn't drive by here and just fly direct to Colorado ;-) I agree that everyone's entitled to their opinion, we do respect the others, but I found out too often that the others might not respect ours.

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Orient