Badlands National Park Hotel Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination

Badlands National Park Hotels: 11 reviews and 16 photos

picnic shelters help make camping bearable - Badlands National Park

picnic shelters help make camping bearable

Cedar Pass Campground: camping at Badlands

Badlands is has only two camping options. Cedar Pass Campground is the least primitive of the two but do not expect a lush camping oasis. I camped here in 1994 but arrived quite late in the evening so basically set up my tent, watched a meteor shower from the inside of my tent and fell asleep to the stars. I packed up pretty early the next day and was off to my next stop. I am not so sure it would be a great spot to camp for more than one night. I did not camp here in 2008 as I was staying with a friend that very evening. I think if we knew just how late we would arrive and that we would nearly get a speeding ticket in the process, we just might have pitched our tent here for the night and just gone early the next morning!

Unique Qualities: The campground is fairly barren and obviously you can't expect any tree cover. You will be camping in exposed condition so if in a tent, keep an eye on the wind and expect the sun's considerable rays to have detrimental effects if you camp anywhere near the 14 day limit imposed by the park. Thankfully, the park does have covered picnic tables to make your meals more comfortable. Restrooms do feature flush toilets and running cold water. No showers are available in the park unless you are staying at the Cedar Pass Lodge. The fee is $14 per night.

Sage Creek Campground is off Sage Creek Rim Road which is not paved. It is a primitive campground with pit toilets and no running water. You must be self-sufficient to camp here but there is no fee as of 2008.

Comparison: least expensive

Directions: Off Badlands Loop Road, close to the Visitor Center.

Price: less than US$20

Theme: Campground

• Written Dec 28, 2009

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Badlands National Park

Have you been to Badlands National Park?

Latest Activity in Badlands National Park

Visiting Badlands National Park?
Read real reviews about Badlands National Park Hotels!