"On Second Glance: Not So Bad After All" Top 5 Page for this destination Badlands National Park by richiecdisc
Badlands National Park Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 398 photos
With visions of The Great Dust Bowl and hearty homesteaders trying to eke out an existence in this harsh terrain, it is easy to see why many write off this area as a bleak lifeless place. Life does exist and Native Americans have been doing just that for 11 thousand years. European settlers did not fare so well aside from unusually high periods of precipitation. Even this had detrimental effects on a land more fragile than it looks in the form of overuse, only furthering erosion.
Badlands was designated a National Monument in 1929 and became a National Park close to 50 years later. While many think only of its eroded buttes, pinnacles and spires, much of the park is prairie, in fact the biggest protected track of mixed grass prairie in the United States. On an overcast day, you could drive right by unimpressed by what appears at first a bleak landscape but if the sun is out and in particular if it is low in the sky, these very rock formations take on a much more spectacular glow and the creatures who call this land home come out to play when this very land is its most livable.
There are no marked extended trails in Badlands National Park. Any backpacking would be off trail and require great... more travel advice
Now, I'll be honest. Badlands National Park was not on our way “back east.” Any reasonable straight line from Denver... more travel advice
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Badlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Badlands National Park!"
- "Basaic Badlands National Park Page"
- "On Second Glance: Not So Bad After All"
- "Beautiful Badlands"
- "Not really a honeymoon ;)"
- "Harsh Beauty"
- "The Beautiful Badlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Badlands National Park
- Hotels in Badlands National Park
- Transportation in Badlands National Park
- Nightlife in Badlands National Park
- Restaurants in Badlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Badlands National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Badlands National Park
- 12 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Badlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Badlands National Park
Photos in Badlands National ParkSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos