"Oregon's Private Playground: Mount Hood" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Hood by richiecdisc

Mount Hood Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 182 photos

The Mount Hood region of Oregon is one that could have easily gone the way of a National Park but sits rather as an example of a scenic area with a more recreational slant to it. This can be viewed as good or bad depending on who you ask. While it is more developed than perhaps it would be if given National Park status, it retains a bit of a national anonymity with it being mostly a playground for Oregonians. Locals surely enjoy its many use configuration with it being popular year round. Who can blame them, with it being a 90 minute drive from the state's biggest city. Missed by many tourists intent on rushing up the state's admittedly gorgeous coast, this splendid alpine region is well worth the effort to take at least a peek at. You will not only see some splendid nature but also see first hand the people of Oregon robustly enjoying their home state.

Colombia River Gorge included

This page will include the Colombia River Gorge area which most people use as the travel corridor to the Mount Hood region. This scenic byway can form a loop from Portland into the mountains or be used for quick access with an Interstate running right through it.

• Last visit to Mount Hood: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2009 at 7:57 AM

The more I read your Oregon pages, the more I want to fish out the old photos. We came looking for Multnomah and other falls, and saw them, but I believe Mt Hood eluded us, shrouded in think cloud :-(

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2009 at 2:34 AM

Lavender Valley and Multnomah Falls are both very spectacular - nice little finds! This looks like another interesting part of your trip as you wandered around stumbling onto various surprises!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2009 at 10:50 AM

You are right. Camping is fun with the right ingredients! Next time, head up to Cloud Cap above the brewpub and walk up to Elliot Glacier for the great view of the north wall of the mountain.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 6:52 AM

I can smell lavender through your amazing pictures! Or is it coming from my bathroom? ;) I very much enjoy picnicking! Would perhaps add some fruits though those chocolaty/coffee beers would easily serve as dessert as well :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 1:38 AM

THERE it is, the famous Overlook Hotel :-)) Haha, I share your thoughts, I would maybe freak out in these hallways.... Fantastic lavender valley, love the flower photos AND your reflection shot, the smoke adds to the magic :-)

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2009 at 5:33 AM

I agree, part of the fun is to picnic in the nature and have your own food and drinks... as long as you can get your supply :) Great photos!

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I didn't tell you I told you so because I knew that you knew that I told you so ;)

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Mount Hood

Have you been to Mount Hood?