"Reflections of Crater Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Crater Lake National Park by richiecdisc

Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 437 photos

Humans use numbers to help them come to terms with the magnitude of the things they encounter. We especially like to know if it is the biggest. Knowing that Crater Lake is close to 2000 feet deep tells us it's not a little pond but more perspective is gained when you add that it is the deepest in the United States and between seventh and ninth in the world, depending on your source.

subjective conjecture

When it comes to average depth, it's 1500 feet is the deepest in the Western Hemisphere and third in the world. Set that lake at an elevation of 6000 feet and ring it with 8000 foot peaks and you have the makings of alpine splendor even if the lake was a muddy mess which is anything but the case. Actually, the lake is fed only by precipitation with no feeds from outside sources. This purity of water makes for incredible clarity as well. With the sun hitting it at just the right angle, all these factors make for the deepest royal blue hue you can imagine. Well, that is perhaps not a fact but subjective conjecture.

we love our opinions too

Despite Crater Lake being the United States sixth oldest National Park, many know little of this majestic wonder and all seem ill-prepared for their first gander of what might very well be the bluest lake in the world and even possibly the prettiest. Humans love their numbers but they love their opinions even more.

• Last visit to Crater Lake National Park: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 16, 2009

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 7:15 AM

AWESOME! I love your pix of the lake! Simply perfect! You're lucky to spent that perfection with someone you love! I haven't quite make it here, may be one fine day I'd find that perfection with someone I love too. KIV it for future trip! ;-)

• alza's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Imagine that they wanted to take me to Carter Lake in Summer of 2007, and I said I didn't really want to go... who's sorry now? yr perfection photo's perfect! gotta love the Pacific Northwest :)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 12:06 PM

As you say, perfection :-) We loved Crater Lake and the Lodge, which we did splash out on. Not so sure about the modern conveniences though - powercuts meant drinks by candlelight and no hot breakfasts!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Despite being under-rated, Crater Lake really does look like perfection! The Wizard Island trip sounded like a great option. The late snow, great weather and rugged beauty so reminded me of Glacier NP! Excellent stuff Richie!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2009 at 1:12 PM

What an amazing place & great photos, snow with sandals, 'love it' :) Hey man, spoil yourselves sometimes, you should take the Lodge next time ;-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Thanks for explaining what makes Crater Lake so clean and so blue! I've been wondering about that (off and on) ever since I was a child when I used to have a Viewmaster disc with stereo photos of Crater Lake.

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 1:38 PM

...and the first time you didn't have the intergalactic pollen creating the most beautiful combination with the bluest blue...

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Thank for stopping by my Statue of Liberty page. Oh boy, Crater Lake is fabulous. It is absolutely lovely. Your a lucky couple to see some of our nations treasures!!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Oh wow, this blue is out of the world!! And I love the intergalactic pollen on the lake, it does look surreal! What, no beer? Can't believe it! Hey, it WAS perfect, you were there with D!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Crater Lake National Park

Have you been to Crater Lake National Park?