"Reflections of Crater Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Crater Lake National Park by richiecdisc
Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 439 photos
Humans use numbers to help them come to terms with the magnitude of the things they encounter. We especially like to know if it is the biggest. Knowing that Crater Lake is close to 2000 feet deep tells us it's not a little pond but more perspective is gained when you add that it is the deepest in the United States and between seventh and ninth in the world, depending on your source.
When it comes to average depth, it's 1500 feet is the deepest in the Western Hemisphere and third in the world. Set that lake at an elevation of 6000 feet and ring it with 8000 foot peaks and you have the makings of alpine splendor even if the lake was a muddy mess which is anything but the case. Actually, the lake is fed only by precipitation with no feeds from outside sources. This purity of water makes for incredible clarity as well. With the sun hitting it at just the right angle, all these factors make for the deepest royal blue hue you can imagine. Well, that is perhaps not a fact but subjective conjecture.
Despite Crater Lake being the United States sixth oldest National Park, many know little of this majestic wonder and all seem ill-prepared for their first gander of what might very well be the bluest lake in the world and even possibly the prettiest. Humans love their numbers but they love their opinions even more.
Crater Lake National Park gets more than its share of snow. The Pacific Northwest is noted for precipitation and the... more travel advice
The only problem was, we were now headed to the area that the best parts of that memorable summer were made, the... more travel advice
- where's my dingo?
- See All a bit of Crater Lake history
- See All Cleetwood Trail to Crater Lake's shore
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Crater Lake National Park Page"
- "Crater Lake National Park"
- "Reflections of Crater Lake"
- "The purest body of water in the world!"
- "Crater Lake is Oregon's 'National' Park"
- "Jewel in the Cascades"
- "Where Else Can You Swim in a Volcano?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crater Lake National Park
- Hotels in Crater Lake National Park
- Transportation in Crater Lake National Park
- Nightlife in Crater Lake National Park
- Restaurants in Crater Lake National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Crater Lake National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Crater Lake National Park
- 14 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Crater Lake National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crater Lake National Park
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- updated a Crater Lake National Park Travel Page "Reflections of Crater Lake"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Reflections of Crater Lake"
- Wrote a Review a place for big snows in Crater Lake National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of mtncorg's Crater Lake National Park travel pages
Photos in Crater Lake National ParkSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos