"When to comes to Beer & Pretzels: Cleveland Rocks" Cleveland by richiecdisc

Cleveland Travel Guide: 611 reviews and 929 photos

Cleveland is another midwestern big city with a Great Lake view much like Chicago though in a smaller, perhaps more livable package. In fact, along with nearby Pittsburgh, it was deemed the most livable city in the US in 2005. It's a city I've always wanted to make a stop in but for some reason, it was always a bit out of the way or at the tail end of other trips that had me tired out.

This could have very easily happened once again on our 2008 trip around the western US. It was going on six months when we found ourselves driving from the middle of Indiana to Pittsburgh and while Cleveland was a slight detour, we did just that for lunch. That lunch was at famed Great Lakes Brewing. Though the drive in was through a poverty stricken area that had me questioning not only our lunch choice but our country's decision to fight wars when what we are rhetorically protecting needs so much help on the home front.

Once in town, it seems pleasant enough. Home to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it would be nice to spend an afternoon and evening here. Great Lakes Brewing was a worthy place to eat and the beer was even better than expected.

• Last visit to Cleveland: Oct 2008
  • Intro Written Dec 31, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2010 at 4:32 AM

Well spoken D - Designated Driver indeed! I like the sound of that bar - all that history, good beers and great food :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2010 at 6:49 AM

Yes, some of those poverty stricken areas really make you wonder -- especially when there is a crass contrast to some rich area just a few miles away.

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I start to believe that D stands for Designated Driver ;P

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2009 at 5:54 AM

Oh wow, a pub with a real good history :-)) Sounds good, their beers too. Haha... one day I might hire you as a beer teacher :) Oh yes, sweet D :-) Hugs to her, and have a fantastic time down there :-))

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Cleveland

Have you been to Cleveland?