"A Brief Stop Before Civilization: Valley of Fire" Top 5 Page for this destination Valley of Fire State Park by richiecdisc

Valley of Fire State Park Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 324 photos

Valley of Fire. Even the name conjures heat. And hot it is, not only in the furnace-like air that waifs through the compact park but in the fiery red hues that enchant even those jaded by red rock scenery so common in these parts. If not for its proximity to Las Vegas, this gem of a Nevada State Park would likely be unknown and compared to nearby National Parks it still garners few visitors. That's a good thing though. Once the day trippers from Sin City depart, you have the place pretty much to yourself and if you like camping, this is one pretty place to pitch a tent. Once the heat dissipates and you can sit amongst the recently glowing red rocks, get ready for a sky full of stars and a peaceful tranquility that is one thing even Vegas cannot muster.

• Last visit to Valley of Fire State Park: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 29, 2009

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I found your Things to Do tips very helpful. We often go out and about in February, and this looks like a place of interest. We would even miss out on all that nasty heat you had!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 4:22 AM

You have certainly found a gem of a park here, and your photos are, as ever, stunning. I like the petroglyphs too :-) But as so often it was reading your general tips that made this page a stand-out!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Wow Richie, you two just keep on stumbling across these amazing parks!! Great photos and commentary as always and yes, like you, some of our best moments have been when we just threw the plans out the window!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Wow, this is fantastic, I certainly get the kick much more here then in Vegas ;-) You took some brilliant photos.

• Sep 3, 2009 at 9:26 PM

thats some stunning red rock there! there really is alot to discover beyond good old las vegas, you are lucky to have explored so much of it. good job mate!

• DoreenDe's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I would give so much to be able to go there again...I would even wear my uniform...

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Oh wow, what did I miss.... I drove past the sign many times on my way from LV to my buddies in St.George, but never made it :-( These rock formations are amazing, yet another elephant :-) Love the tiny lizzard :-))

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Valley of Fire State Park

Have you been to Valley of Fire State Park?